Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-20-2007

telekitr is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog
IMHO, draining the fresh water tanks into the bilge is just a PITA and a bad idea. The pressure system pump should be able to handle the load of getting rid of most of the water from the system pretty easily—after all, that is what it is designed to do. It might be wise not to run it for one long burst, but in several shorter ones.

A siphon can deal with what is remaining after the pressure system has used all the water it can.
I would save the wear and tear on the pumps whenever you can..after all, when you're 100 miles offshore and the pump fails, "should have been able to handle it" isn't going to do you much good.
Use the siphon method. No wear and tear on anything.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-20-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
A siphon might work if the boat is out of the water...but on many boats, mine included, the water tanks are below the water line, and using a siphon won't generally drain them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-20-2007

telekitr is on a distinguished road
Quote:
A siphon might work if the boat is out of the water...but on many boats, mine included, the water tanks are below the water line, and using a siphon won't generally drain them.
Good point......then I might still try to maintain my systems wherever possible. Manual bilge pump with a 10 foot extension of hose to go out a port hole? Those grey manuals work really well and its easy and cheap to put any length of cheap pool hose on the end with a hose clamp.
Old 06-20-2007

christyleigh is on a distinguished road
Ahh... that's right, many years of wintering on the hard and only the last couple in the water I didn't give that much thought - but mine probably wouldn't siphon into the sea either. Guess I'll just continue to use the freshwater pump
Wickford/Narragansett Bay RI
Old 06-20-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
All,

First,

If you are going offshore or cruising, and you do not have an extra pump and (AND) an extra pressure or rebuild switch, AND a manual pump for the water tanks, shame on you. You deserve to dehydrate and live off of beer and coca colas until the CG can pick your dumb ass up.

Second,

The pump was made to run. If it is going to fail, let it fail in port. As far as the extra wear, turning it off periodically may or may not be necceessary. Call Jabsco. For the record, I never have cycled the pump. I just let it run.

Third,

I would NOT pump my tanks into the bilge because if there is ANY odor in that water, it will permeate the boat. Anyone ever had a sulfur smell in their water??? Imagine that residing on the bilge wall. And if you think you can't go through 100 gallons of water in a reasonable amount of time, just let me know and I will send my kids to your boat. They have no problem doing it in a less than reasonable amount of time. You will not be dissapointed.

Fourth,

If you really want to get those things cleaned, cut an access port into them. THis might even be considered a good offshore technique. I have not done this, but I likely will.

Just my thoughts.

- CD

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 06-20-2007

teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about
I drained both tanks today using the fresh water pump, absolutely no problem. In fact it worked so well I filled them again and drained again. I also have a Par belt driven pump that sounds like it's on it's last legs but it just kept pumping. I have a replacement for it but I plan to stow it until this one finally dies. Thanks all for your help.
Tom Shannon
Old 06-20-2007

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Quote:
T37Chef might be used to a dank, wet, slimy bilge, but that isn't the case for many of us. RickBowman also doesn't give any valid reasons for the practice.

Makes sense to use the pump the way it was meant to be used...
I guess you haven't heard of a wet vac uh? I never said I leave it soaking wet! or slimy! or dank! or stinky!

Makes sense to you SD, but there is more than one way to do something and it still be practical! The hose from the valves goes directly into the lowest part of the bilge, next to the pump, not only do it find that it works well, but also faster. Then I suck the remaining H2O with the cool 20th century invention called a wet/dry vacuum. Heres a picture of one...maybe you recognize it if you have ever been in a hardware store

1982 Tartan 37 CB - Hull #358

Old 06-20-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Obviously, you've never really used a wet/dry shop vac... most will not completely dry an area. Yes, they will pick up the bulk of the liquid, but they will also leave a bit behind. l still see no point in having to haul out the shop vac, when you could just as easily not be stupid about the whole thing and not get the bilge all wet in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef
I guess you haven't heard of a wet vac uh? I never said I leave it soaking wet! or slimy! or dank! or stinky!

Makes sense to you SD, but there is more than one way to do something and it still be practical! The hose from the valves goes directly into the lowest part of the bilge, next to the pump, not only do it find that it works well, but also faster. Then I suck the remaining H2O with the cool 20th century invention called a wet/dry vacuum. Heres a picture of one...maybe you recognize it if you have ever been in a hardware store

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-20-2007

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Now your just being silly...theres more freaking humidity in the air on a Maryland August day than what a vac would leave behind.

1982 Tartan 37 CB - Hull #358

Last edited by T37Chef; 06-20-2007 at 10:52 PM.
Old 06-20-2007

Boasun will become famous soon enough Boasun will become famous soon enough
Note: I heartedly believe in operating all mechanical equipment on board once a week for fifteen to thirty minutes each time. This will keep the equipment from freezing up (caused by various reasons) from disuse. To many times I have taken over a boat and found that needed equipment in op due to a lack of usage. Same with the batteries. inspect the batteries each week along with the electrolyte level and gravity.

Use a shop vac?? I have used one a few times. And lifting that full tank time after time gets old after awhile. Maybe for the last few drops will I use one now. My back just isn't up to it.
Now a stripping pump (which you should have) will have a suction hose and the discharge hose you can lead out onto deck to a cockpit drain or overboard. Now the suction hose with a foot valve and strainer you can place anywhere on the boat and pump her dry. Some boats the bilges are pocketed and without limber holes to allow drainage. So a stripping pump makes sense.
On most work boats we also have a stripping pump strictly for the engines. When an engine hold 37 gls of lube oil you are not going to dump into the bilges, But pump it into a waste oil tank or 55 gl drums. Then pump good lube into the engines. A complete oil change can be up to about 110 gls.

Now on a sailing vessel I would have a small dedicated stripping pump just for the oil change on your engine and gen set. makes life easier and less chance of a dreaded oil spill.

Last edited by Boasun; 06-20-2007 at 11:21 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.