Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2008

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
I would offer a different suggestion....

The one issue that gas versus diesel boats has is the issue of varnish / algae.

There are plenty of diesel gasket materials (as for gas) that you can get at NAPA - to do such larger inspection / washout ports... Unless you are a constant motor-sailor this is a real issue.

Having known my Atomic 4 damage was a result of varnish... and now going to own a diesel with even less run times.. it is more prudent to do what you can to clear the problem on a visual inspection versus wondering what to do and $$ after it occurs... inspection windows that couple as access ports - priceless...

S/V "
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-03-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Jody-

Diesel doesn't form varnishes or gum up AFAIK. The biggest problem with diesel is bacterial slime growth at the water/diesel interface.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-03-2008

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Jody-

Diesel doesn't form varnishes or gum up AFAIK. The biggest problem with diesel is bacterial slime growth at the water/diesel interface.
Duh I stated that SD... that is what varnish / algae denotes (the slash)...my english is bad tho I forgive.. been getting lessons from a Portuguese...

S/V "
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or

Old 04-03-2008

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Gasoline is a witches brew of often up to SIXTY fractions and components, including things like heptane and butane which literally boil out of it within days or weeks. So varnish doesn't form, so much as it simply "Drops out of suspension" as the lower fractions gel out while the higher ones evaporate. It may or may not all be the same (I won't argue that one[g]) but it certainly isn't all made the same.

"Pump" fuel, diesel or gasoline, is typically designed to be fairly stable for 60-90 days from the date of manufacture, and whether you use gas or diesel you will have problems with "stale" fuel. Depending on the storage, the oxidation, the condensation, the temperature...you will have problems, usually around the six month point. For many of us, who think the "iron genny" is a god best worshipped infrequently, that can mean a good part of the fuel in this year's tank is last year's fuel, and tossing in a couple of bucks worth of biocide/stabilant is a terribly inexpensive precaution to take if you're not "driving the bus" and burning that old fuel out on a regular basis.
Old 04-04-2008
Wish I never found SN!

SimonV will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Gasoline is a witches brew of often up to SIXTY fractions and components, including things like heptane and butane which literally boil out of it within days or weeks. So varnish doesn't form, so much as it simply "Drops out of suspension" as the lower fractions gel out while the higher ones evaporate. It may or may not all be the same (I won't argue that one[g]) but it certainly isn't all made the same.

"Pump" fuel, diesel or gasoline, is typically designed to be fairly stable for 60-90 days from the date of manufacture, and whether you use gas or diesel you will have problems with "stale" fuel. Depending on the storage, the oxidation, the condensation, the temperature...you will have problems, usually around the six month point. For many of us, who think the "iron genny" is a god best worshipped infrequently, that can mean a good part of the fuel in this year's tank is last year's fuel, and tossing in a couple of bucks worth of biocide/stabilant is a terribly inexpensive precaution to take if you're not "driving the bus" and burning that old fuel out on a regular basis.
Please explain? I have about 40gal of Diesel in the tank and will be adding 40gal more; I have no access ports into the tank. I have 8 new fuel filters on standby; I leave for a long trip off shore what should I add to the fuel????

I love my boat
S/V GOODONYA
Brisbane
present location Heading to the Whitesundays

DELIVERY SKIPPER
Drinking Rum before 10am makes you a Pirate NOT an alcohlic
Old 04-04-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
HS--

The more recent ethanol blends of gasoline have noticeably shorter shelf-life than the older MTBE-based gasolines. This is because the ethanol will come out of solution with the gasoline once the water content of the mixture reaches 1.5% or so. This will leave you with a layer of contaminated "alcohol" and a layer of gasoline that is roughy 82 octane or so.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-04-2008

sailortonyb is on a distinguished road
On my old Catalina 30, I was able to remove the tank and I went to a self car wash and blasted that puppy clean.
If you cant remove, then RichH is right. If you cant scrub the tank of all crud, then its useless to just clean and change fuel.
Old 04-04-2008

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Simon-
Any chandlery or auto supply store will have a rack of "fuel treatment" bottles from different makers. And any brand name product should work reasonably well. They contain additives designed to make the fuel (gas or diesel, whichever they are for) more stable for long-term storage. For diesel they will include a biocide to keep critters from growing, and probably a cetane booster because diesel loses power as it ages, and I'm not sure what else. For gasoline, the additives are designed to keep things in suspension, and prevent/compensate for the evaporation of high end fractions. Exactly what each one is and what it claims to do, is not my department.[g] But for fuel that will be STORED unused for long periods (i.e. 6-12 months or longer) they all seem to make a big difference in how well that fuel burns and how it causes fewer problems.

If you are going offshore with the intent that your fuel may be stored and unused for over 3 months, pick a brand name that you recognize (one of the petroluem companies or chemical makers as you please) and use the product according to the directions. With no access ports you are limited as to being able to inspect or clean, all you can do is hope you've got enough filters and the tank itself is clean to start with.

Personally I think anyone who builds a marine tank without inspection access ports should be keel-hauled, the old fashioned way without antibiotics on a fouled bottom. And having heard a "reliable" diesel sputter and die once too often, I no longer trust the fuel from ANY pump, I want to see it pumped through a "baja filter" or other filter strainer which absorbs moisture and dirt, and lets me watch what is coming in with the fuel.

But that's just me--I hate bleeding diesel fuel lines, I hate the smell of diesel, I have zero tolerance for anything "diesel" that is less than 110% reliable. I'd rather wait for the seasons to change and a breeze to come up.[vbg]

SD-
Ethanol. Gasahol. I can't wait for the history books to finally write about the greatest agrobusiness boondoggle of the 21st century! Good point, the ethanol can be problematic, as much as the changeover to lead-free fuel was. I want gasoline in my gasoline, not vodka! Aside from the damage it can do, I can't think of any reason for it unless you own Archer-Daniels-Midland stock, because whatever it gains, it immediately loses since you need to burn 10% more of it to make up for the lower energy content. And for this I pay taxes?!

Last edited by hellosailor; 04-04-2008 at 12:25 AM.
Old 04-04-2008
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post

Personally I think anyone who builds a marine tank without inspection access ports should be keel-hauled, the old fashioned way without antibiotics on a fouled bottom. And having heard a "reliable" diesel sputter and die once too often, I no longer trust the fuel from ANY pump, I want to see it pumped through a "baja filter" or other filter strainer which absorbs moisture and dirt, and lets me watch what is coming in with the fuel.

But that's just me--I hate bleeding diesel fuel lines, I hate the smell of diesel, I have zero tolerance for anything "diesel" that is less than 110% reliable. I'd rather wait for the seasons to change and a breeze to come up.[vbg]
AMEN BROTHER!!!! This all started because I was having a *%&^!! of a time bleeding my engine and I decided that I plan to own this boat for a long time and I want to do it right and do it as few times as possible.

I appreciate the suggestion not to cut holes, but I really do want inspection ports. If I start consuming filters years from now after taking on dodgy fuel in Tarawaga-nonga I want to be able to see what's living in my tank. I'm not really worried about metal shavings as I'm sure I can remove most all of them and the ones I can't are likely to be spun out by the Racor and if not they should be larger than 10microns and caught by the filter paper. Besides with a shiny clean tank I have to have SOMETHING for my Racor to do.

I made a pilgrimage to one of the only good hardware stores left in the Seattle area. They talked me into a high-carbon 5" hole saw. An expensive tool but any engine work is expensive.... I'll report tomorrow on how it goes.

SimonV. Please DO NOT PUT BIOCIDE IN YOUR TANK! I wouldn't put any additives in your tank if your engine is running well. If your fuel is really old you can add "cetane" (diesel's equivalent of octane) which degrades with time.

If you've never added biocide before you "may" have algae in your fuel and it "may" increase the rate of filter usage but I guarantee you that if you do have algae and you put biocide in there you will suddenly have a HUGE clump of algae that will cause big problems.

To give you an example when I bought my first boat I had a 7 gal tank for the heater and a 55gal tank for the engine. I heard about algae and decided to try the additive in the 7gal tank first. The next day I had about 1.5 cups full of coffee ground like dead algae in the bottom of the tank. Clogged up the 1/4 inch fuel line and was a huge headache. I decided not to add any to the large tank. I motored that boat quite a bit over the next 6 years and only changed the filters once (preventative). Yes there was some visible growth in the bowl and I'm sure there was some in the tank but it was doing me less harm clinging to to sides of the tank than all dying and clogging up my lines and filters at once. Tank access in the old boat would involve cutting the boat in half.

MedSailor
Old 04-04-2008
Wish I never found SN!

SimonV will become famous soon enough
Medsailor
Thanks for the reply, but your advice on the algaecide flies in the face of the majority consensus. Now I am more confused, as your advice seems to have merit.

I love my boat
S/V GOODONYA
Brisbane
present location Heading to the Whitesundays

DELIVERY SKIPPER
Drinking Rum before 10am makes you a Pirate NOT an alcohlic

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.