Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-20-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Mistress....It is not the amps that count in this case ...they only determine how LONG something will run. The problem here is a 1000 WATT inverter trying to run a 1500 watt load. You could have a 10000 amphour battery bank and that dog still won't hunt. Skip's idea won't work in ths case either as the load differential is just too high. (I'll take his advice on woodwork any day though! Great looking boat!)
Your microwave works cause your inverter is higher rated is my guess...not because of your battery bank.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-20-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebs001
SD, I think you had better define "shock hazard" for me. An adapter cord which is smaller guage may present an electrical hazard because it could overheat with amperage higher than it's rating, but it's not a shock hazard. Insulation is to protect against a given voltage and seeing as we are dealing with 120 volts the insulation has to be adequate for that voltage no matter the amperage. Without knowing what kind of adapter the marina is going to loan him you have suggested that Frank is entering into a very hazardous situation. I personnaly think that it at worst it may be slightly more hazardous even if the marina gives him home made adapters. A lot marinas have outlets on their dock pedistals that are not "in use" waterproof and the use of adapters at this marina presents no more of a hazard.
When I said lighter above, I meant the insulation, not the wiring is far lighter. That said, the wiring is often thinner gauge wire too. I haven't said that it is a very hazardous situation—you did. I just said that the adapters can be hazardous... please don't mistake what you read into my words for what I've actually written.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-20-2007

ebs001 is on a distinguished road
SD. "Serious problem"(your words) is not "very hazardous" (my words), I understand now? . You actually suggested he find another marina.I guess at one point you thought it was "very serious hazard". Do you have any idea what your talking about? Shock hazard is a serious problem and very hazardous, but we don't have a shock hazard here. I think your raising a red flag for no reason.
Old 06-21-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
EBS-

Generally, marinas should be using marine twist-lock shore power outlets, rather than standard household outlets, which is what this marina seems to be using. If they're taking short cuts on that, where else are they taking short cuts, especially that you can't see.

In fact, many marinas prohibit using adapter cables or linking two shore-power cables to make a longer one due to the risks they can present.

If I'm paying for services, I prefer not to have to deal with stuff that is done improperly... maybe you don't mind, but I do. A marina should be using marine shore-power outlets for the dockside shore power connections.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-21-2007

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Or hand the woman a ******* towel. If she's on shore power, why can't she walk to the no doubt adjacent marina or clubhouse and plug in there?

This could be a job for....SOLARSTIK!!!
Old 06-21-2007
Splashed

JomsViking is on a distinguished road
Recently a few boats burned in a marina not far from me - BECAUSE of the use of household wire - I'd consider that hazardous Actually the Fire Department said that it was very fortunate that no one was aboard at the time of the fire or they would probably have died. Please note that the ONLY load at the time was the charger in the boat where the fire started.
Old 06-21-2007

FrankLanger is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the ongoing helpful replies. While I didn't intend to cause controversy with my question, the discussion is helping me to understand the issues and potential risks involved, so is very useful.

I had to chuckle about the suggestion to put my wife on the bow and motor around to dry her hair, or simply hand her a towel! She is a spunky (and very pretty) little lady who has adapted well to sailing, even in rough conditions with water over the bow and salt in her hair. But she does like to get herself looking "right" in the morning with a shower, hair blower, curling iron and bit of makeup as a pre-condition to the day's sailing. Unfortunately, some of the marinas we stay at only have one washroom/shower and she doesn't want to monopolize that and make others wait. And I like anchoring out, so am still looking for a way to provide the right conditions/equipment at anchor to allow her to make herself look "right" --to me she looks "right" all the time, but she's a bit particular about that...

Thanks again!

Frank.
Old 06-21-2007

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Frank-
Surprise her with a couple of expensive large silk scarves, to be used when her hair doesn't want to be seen in public.

Also try a search on "twelve volt hair dryers" the first one I found is:

RoadPro RPSC-818 12 volt DC Electric Hair Dryer-Defroster

That's right, a hair drier that plugs into a 12V battery!

A wife who'll come sailing with you, is worth a little extra work.
Old 06-21-2007
Seńor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
My wife also likes to be "coiffured" a certain way and our boat's shorepower system is more than sufficient for use of her 120v hair grooming stuff.

While away from shorepower for days at a time however, she's yet to be pleased by the 12v hairblower I bought her several years ago. It simply doesn't generate enough heat to dry/style her hair.

If anyone's found one, or can testify to hellosailor's link - I'll buy it to keep her happy. Tough having a high maintenance first mate.
Old 06-21-2007

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Trueblue, I'm intimately familiar with hairdriers, even if I can't figure out whether there's two "i"s or one "y" in the word.
And I'll be the first to admit a 14A12V hairdryer, is still going to be a weak imitation of any 1600W home model. Heck, I'd like to bring my home stereo on the boat too, but's that a "ClassA" power amp and I'd have trouble running it all evening even with the big 8D batteries.