Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-21-2007

maddata is an unknown quantity at this point
GPS Fix Lost

Has anyone had any issues with a Raystar 125 GPS receiver failing or losing its fix permanently? Mine (mounted on the sternrail) worked for a few weeks and now will not receive a fix. I tested the connection and the sea talk box is receiving and transmitting other data to my chart plotter (a C70). So, I figure the issue is a hardware failure with the receiver. The only issue is the GPS receiver blinks green as if it has a fix, but again, no data comes to the chart plotter.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-21-2007
Not So Senior Member

Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about
I think i remember reading about this type of senario in a thread called Celestial Navigation?....Forget It! I don't have an answer for your problem, sorry,, but this is a case in point for that other thread.
Old 06-21-2007
I'd rather be sailing

labatt will become famous soon enough
I have been having this problem on and off with a 120 series GPS receiver. If I power the receiver off and back on (the chartplotter is irrelevant) it comes back. I haven't been able to track the gremlin down. The only pattern I can find is that it fails at the most critical moment.
s/v "Pelican" Passport 40 #076- Finished Cruising - for the moment -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Don't dream your life, live your dream" - Bob Bitchin'
"I'll see it when I believe it" - Me
Old 06-21-2007

Boasun will become famous soon enough Boasun will become famous soon enough
This is why you need to know how to navigate.
Have had about three GPSs quit on me. Then we toss them and get a new one. Then you have the joy of re-installing all of your way points. You do have the way points in your navigator's work book right!?
I for one practice and teach those "archaic" navigation skills. You will be surprised on handy those skills are in everyday operation of you boat, even if you are using a GPS.
Old 06-21-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by labatt
I have been having this problem on and off with a 120 series GPS receiver. If I power the receiver off and back on (the chartplotter is irrelevant) it comes back. I haven't been able to track the gremlin down. The only pattern I can find is that it fails at the most critical moment.
That would be Murphy.

Boasun—

Just FYI, most GPS units will allow you to save waypoints to a memory card or computer... so that you don't have to manually enter them over again. This is probably the way to go, since manually entering them allows the chance to royally screw them up each time.

Maddata-

Does the Raystar 125 output NMEA 0183 or Seatalk? If it outputs NMEA 0183, you could always put a computer's serial port on it and see what data is actually being passed. That would at least tell you if the Raystar 125 is actually getting a lock and transmitting the proper data. If it is, then it is likely that the display is the issue. That sounds far more likely IMHO.

If it transmits only in Seatalk, you could use a NMEA 0183 multiplexer, since there is at least one out there that can translate Seatalk into NMEA 0183.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-21-2007
I'd rather be sailing

labatt will become famous soon enough
I usually sail by chart and compass, but I'll use the GPS to verify our location and our cross-track error. When I'm going 50-60 miles between turns, if you're off by a few degrees it can mean a bunch of extra time. If I was doing 150 mile days, I'd want it even more. So anyway, navigation by chart, verification by GPS, for us... But it still doesn't fix the problem of the mysteriously disappearing sensor...
s/v "Pelican" Passport 40 #076- Finished Cruising - for the moment -
"Don't dream your life, live your dream" - Bob Bitchin'
"I'll see it when I believe it" - Me
Old 06-21-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Labatt-

Much of what I wrote for Maddata would probably apply to you.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 06-21-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Sapperwhite...
I think i remember reading about this type of senario in a thread called Celestial Navigation?....Forget It! I don't have an answer for your problem, sorry,, but this is a case in point for that other thread.

Yeah...it belongs on the part of the thread where I said you need multiple GPS's. A Celestial Fix on lake champlain will put him somewhere in the adirondacks..since it is pretty darn hard to get a horizon there!! (G)

Old 06-22-2007
Telstar 28

I generally don't recommend Celestial Navigation for inland sailing.. LOL

Telstar 28
New England

Old 06-22-2007
Not So Senior Member

Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about
"A Celestial Fix on lake champlain will put him somewhere in the adirondacks..since it is pretty darn hard to get a horizon there!!"

In Labatts case, yes carry an extra on board, maybe just a nice handheld with all the bells and whistles. But, I have seen screenshots of a chartplotter showing some boat to be about 300' inland when they were actually tucked safely in the slip, so GPS isn't foolproof. Sorry about not knowing Labatts cruising area.
However, where is Maddata sailing when his GPS turns into a field improvised doorstop? Half way to Bermuda maybe???? I don't know. All I'm saying is that the Polynesians didn't settle the south pacific by carrying extra GPS units with them. Magellan didn't get where he was going by having the latest toy loaded with his favorite tracks and waypoints.
Sorry for hijacking the thread, hope someone can help you guys with the technical problems.