Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-23-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Labatt-

The hose could be kinked, or the vent could be still blocked in some way... Spiders and other critters sometimes do that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-23-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Labatt...in addition to what dawg said...sometimes water finds a low point in the vent line and pools there...effectively blocking the vent. Blow out the line with an air compressor if you don't find an alternate solution.
Old 06-23-2007
I'd rather be sailing

labatt will become famous soon enough
I'll look at the bug route, but it's literally a 3 foot run, almost straight up, from the tank to the vent. It's a 1/2" tube with a clear hose (potable water hose) with a white vent cap plugging the top. Not too many places for problems... We usually leave the hose on full open when filling, so maybe it's too fast... We only have the problem with the one tank though. It's on my list now, but under fixing my head issue... I love owning a boat!!! I can't complain though...
s/v "Pelican" Passport 40 #076- Finished Cruising - for the moment -
"Don't dream your life, live your dream" - Bob Bitchin'
"I'll see it when I believe it" - Me
Old 06-24-2007
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by morganmike
I'm not arguing that there are some clueless people out there, I'm arguing that your post did nothing to answer the OP's question. The OP asked about best location for a tank vent, discussion ensued around that topic. You come in, master of the obvious, and post an off-topic know-it-all response about WHY we need a tank vent, which nobody was debating. The fact that someone came in afterward and asked if their tank might not have a vent does nothing to vindicate you.
It seems you're the one with a venting problem mike . . . lighten up, or try a little more fiber in your diet.
Old 06-25-2007

snorphinj is on a distinguished road
Thanks all! I think i will skip replacing the vents on the side of the hull which are almost impossible to reach without dismantling parts of the interior and put new vent hoses on the water tanks which I can lead out a port when refilling. I'll also stand by while filling rather than going to the store or taking a nap.