SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Bottom $$$ (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/3391-bottom-%24%24%24.html)

KPBaker 02-20-2002 06:01 AM

Bottom $$$

I''m needing to have a new bottom coat put on my Classic 26 sailboat for the first time since I''ve had her.I''ve never taken a boat to a yard before to have a barrier coat put on, nor have I ever put one on myself.This is totally new ground to me. I use my boat mostly on a lake in SC, but also trailer her down to the coast from time to time.I would really appreciate some good advice on what to have the bottom painted with, and a ball-park figure on what I should expect a yard to charge per foot to do the work.Thanks!

Jeff_H 02-20-2002 08:55 AM

Bottom $$$

I am paying $15 per foot in Annapolis for a prayed on racing quality finish. There is a fair amount of hand work but I can''t buy the materials and pay hauling and blocking for much less than that so I''ve gotten lazy. The finish on my boat is more expensive because it is sprayed, and rubbed out. When you spray a finish there is less tollerance for small defects.Also the work being done in Annapolis,which is more expensive than the Carolinas but I may be getting some breaks because I am a regular at the yard and because the bottom started off with a well adhered and smooth finish to begin with. I really am not sure how much less it would be where you are but it should be at least a little less.

Jeff

If you boat has never lived in the water and never had bottom paint, I would probably use Interlux''s barrier coat as a primer sealer and then go over that with any good quality

bporter 02-20-2002 03:51 PM

Bottom $$$

Is that $15 a foot is JUST to spray, or does it include sanding and prep, before & after?

It would be cheaper for me to put my boat on a truck and move it from RI to Annapolis and back for the work if it covers everything <g>.

Last year I think I spent about $4400 on my bottom for my C&C 37. We started with 17 years of soft paint on it which I wanted to replace with a fast paint and wet sand. My crew and I spent a longish weekend in Oompa-Loompa suits up to our elbows in Dolphinite trying to remove the soft stuff. We probably got half of it off, then for time reasons had yard finished it. They then prepped the bottom, and sprayed a couple of coats (one was a different colored tell layer).

The first spraying didn''t work properly, so when we went to sand, three rubs with 320 grit paper and we were through the top layer to the tell coat. Oops - the Baltoplate was like a thin paste.

Anyway, to cut this short, because of the time delays and missed schedules (I had to cancel 6 people for wetsanding on three different weekends ''cause the yard missed their dates), the yard agreed to sand after painting for no charge, although they used some electric thing with pads.

So the moral is - the cost of the bottom depends on 1) how much you have time to do and 2) how much prep has to be done and by who. Moral #3 is to be very dubious when the boatyard tells you in February "sure we''ll have it in the water for the first race of the spring series". We ended up drysailing the first three races, since the yard wasn''t done with us they kept dropping me in and hauling me for free.

Don''t even get me started on what happened to the paint DURING the season - the folks from Interlux apparenlty have no idea why the paint decided to bubble up, they''ve been to visit it. My money says improper curing and wrong mixing of the paint.

I think I may be taking my new boat to Waterline systems (nearby hear) this fall for the next bottom work.

Jeff_H 02-20-2002 06:43 PM

Bottom $$$

$15.00 includes hauling, blocking, sanding, spraying and launching. Depending on my work load at the office when we haul out, I typically have them buff and wax the hull. I also typically get into a project when ever I haul, one year reskinning the rudder, another fairing the keel, another replacing depth sounder and knotmeter transducers and so on. I usually roll out of the yard with a bill well up over a $1000.

On boats over 30 feet the price of a bottom job goes up a bist. For my current 38 footer I think it was $18.00 per foot for the bottom work. Remember both of these boats are coming in with clean, fair bottoms and racing level finishes. Except for projects there is comparatively little prep to do.

Heck, when I had the new boat shipped in from Maine this summer. The cost to strip and paint the mast, do fiberglass repairs to the topsides and rudder, touching up the awlgrip, awlgripping boot stripes and cove stripes, painting the bottom, pulling the prop and shipping out for reconditioning and stepping and blocking the mast came to $3400.00. I thought there was lot of very good work done for the money. Not only that, before the boat was actually shipped I had spoken to the yard and asked if the work could be completed by the end of September (about three weeks from when we expected the boat to show up.) By the time every thing got sorted out the boat showed up almost a week later than I had originally hoped. No one''s fault, the trucking company was super. Bobby still got me splashed by the end of September. Bobby has worked on my boats for the past 14 years and I have absolutely no complaints at all and I''m pretty finicky.

Jeff

KPBaker 02-21-2002 02:10 AM

Bottom $$$

Thanks for the responses. As mentioned previously, I''m a newbie in this area. To the best of my recollection, the mfg.of my boat put a coat of Interlux barrier on her at time of purchase. The boat has been in fresh water for the last 6 years with only that. When I pulled her out recently, I powered washed the hull to remove all the slime,etc.Not surprisingly, a good portion of the Interlux came off as well. I''m assuming that I should have the rest removed (sanded) then have a new coat of the barrier put on, and then some type of finish over that. Is that correct? P.S.--Jeff -- I envy you being in the Annapolis area. I''ve attended several of the sailboat shows there in Oct.,and once trailered my boat up from NC to sail around the bay a bit. Back then there was a place called "Marmaduke''s" I believe, where all the sailing types hung out.It was a great place to swap tales and learn.Someone told me it''s gone now though. Anyway, Annapolis is one mighty fine sailing area!!

Jeff_H 02-21-2002 02:24 AM

Bottom $$$

A decade or so back, Sailing World did a ''10 Best'' issue and Marmadukes was high up on the ''10 best sailing watering holes on the list''. Alas it has been gone for a while, replaced by a steak joint. There is a new ''sailing bar'' in town about a block from ''Dukes'' that seems to have become ''Dukes'' replacement.

I am not sure what to tell you about the barrier coat peeling off. That is not good news. I would suggest that you need to try to find out what that coating actually is. (It may have just been bottom paint.)In any event, if it is a barrier coat, you should probably remove any of that coating that is not adhered abd apply a fresh barrier coat now. It will be much easier to apply now before you have ever applied bottom paint and before you change water conditions.

(For certain types of blisters fresh water is worse than salt but it can work the opposite way as well)

Jeff

sailorman_10 02-25-2002 08:49 AM

Bottom $$$

The best price I have been able to get for a turnkey bottomjob on my 30''er on a Texas lake is 31.00 per foot! I thought and you have confirmed, that''s High Seas robbery. I have considered trying to do it myself but no trailer or stands makes it difficult. The boat yards have the larger boat owners by the keel hairs cause they know we can''t easily move them to a more reasonable yard.

KPBaker 02-25-2002 10:01 AM

Bottom $$$

Since Jeff''s initial response, I have been checking prices around more. The first one I called quoted $30/ft.to lightly sand and apply one quote of anti-fouling paint. The second quoted $12-$15 max.,which would include sanding and applying two coats of bottom paint. Granted, a guy has to take into account the quality of each yard''s work, but I''m amazed at how much difference there is in pricing at different yards. My boat is trailerable, which I hope to use to my advantage when I have the work done in a couple of weeks.