Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-22-2007
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichH
If its slime, use bottom paint into which you mix 'oxytetracycline' an antibiotic that you can get from a veterinarian'. Just take the pills and crush them into a very fine powder ... then mix into the paint before applying.
This seems like a really bad idea for soooo many reasons. The public health issues alone from this type of treatment could be huge. Not to mention possible legal ramifications. I think I'd stay away from this one.
Old 06-22-2007

Mike244 is on a distinguished road
$325 for a 1/2 quart??? That's crazy..

Mike
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-22-2007
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
I've read in several places that Bag Balm works wonders on props. One great thing about it is that you can apply it while under water. Another is that it's not too expensive...

You can try the 10 Oz. Tin for about $6, or if you're ready to make a committment; 4.5-lb. Tub of Bag Balm®, Hand Care, Clean-Up | Gemplers for $35.

And your hands will be silky smooth too!
Old 06-22-2007

wildcard is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by T34C
This seems like a really bad idea for soooo many reasons. The public health issues alone from this type of treatment could be huge. Not to mention possible legal ramifications. I think I'd stay away from this one.
As a public health care provider Id like to say, What are you talking about? There is no problem nd no reason for concern....

OK, so this is now a much bigger problem. I dove the boat today and EVERY piece of metal UW is covered including bronze thru hulls to 6-12 inches away. Clearly there is an electrolisis issue here. New zincs and retested to 900ish mv (if I rember right) up from 500mv winth no zincs. Surveyor said it was a little hot but prolly due to new zincs and not causing any damage.

Now I need real help here! Any suggestions?
Old 06-22-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by eherlihy
I've read in several places that Bag Balm works wonders on props. One great thing about it is that you can apply it while under water. Another is that it's not too expensive...

You can try the 10 Oz. Tin for about $6, or if you're ready to make a committment; 4.5-lb. Tub of Bag Balm®, Hand Care, Clean-Up | Gemplers for $35.

And your hands will be silky smooth too!
CRAP! I grew up on a farm, I shoulda thought of that, it fixes everything else....Why not boats? I WILL give it a try. Makes sense. Thanks
Old 06-22-2007

Boasun will become famous soon enough Boasun will become famous soon enough
And while you are cleaning your prop, watch out for the sharks, allegators and Baracudas.
Old 06-22-2007
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcard
As a public health care provider Id like to say, What are you talking about? There is no problem nd no reason for concern....
I don't think the idea of all of us starting to dump a bunch of antibiotics in the water is probably real smart. I'm guessing that the CDC might frown on it. Oh yeah the CDC also says,"There is positive evidence of human fetal risk based on adverse reaction data from investigational or marketing experience or studies in humans..." reguarding this particular antibiotic. Not to mention it is a controlled substance.
Old 06-23-2007
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
I, for one, am not surprised at the recommendation of Bag Balm, either. The stuff was invented back in the day when nobody cared what was in it. I suspect the ingredients are more closely guarded than the recipe for Coca-Cola and it seems to have more proven uses than aspirin.

If you have not heard of this wonderful balm, in the little green tin, your life is one of deprivation. Even if you are not a cow, but merely a male, forced to work in hot, sweaty conditions where chafe, and you know where I mean chafe, is an issue, this stuff will bring joy and relief to your, well, you'll be able to walk normally anyway! Available at a "Tractor Supply" near you.

The "Udder Balm" by Dionne does not provide the same anti-chafe protection but is a nice lotion and effective as a moisturizer.

For all you nay sayers; I have it on good authority that Practical Sailor will be testing Bag Balm on anchor rodes in the July issue. Sounds like an issue not to be missed what with some odd-ball solar device also debuting.
Old 06-23-2007

Bag Balm off the top of my head has petro jelly, lanolin, camphor and menthol.... And from some first hand advice, it is NOT for your more private areas....And a counrty boy can survive
Old 06-23-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by T34C
I don't think the idea of all of us starting to dump a bunch of antibiotics in the water is probably real smart. I'm guessing that the CDC might frown on it. Oh yeah the CDC also says,"There is positive evidence of human fetal risk based on adverse reaction data from investigational or marketing experience or studies in humans..." reguarding this particular antibiotic. Not to mention it is a controlled substance.
He recomended two pills! It's not 12 million people craping on my wheel. BTW you can buy it OTC for animals (we are animals ya know?) so it's not realy controled....Before you resort to hysterics, please think about the perspective.