Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-23-2007

eggman2001 is on a distinguished road
how to change halyard

I need to change one of my halyards. I understand that there is a way to replace it with a tempory string and then replacing the string with a new halyard. Can someone tell me how to tie the string to the halyard so that it slides through the top of the mast?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-23-2007
Hitchin' a ride

bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough
Considering how much of a pain in the butt it will be if you lose the halyard, I would go the safe route. Use a line bigger than a piece of string. String can get dislodged and stuck in a sheave. I would stitch the two pieces end to end with whipping. And if you hit a tight spot and it gets hard to pull, don't force it. Thats just me, others may not be so careful. Also, if you know the length already, just buy new line that is longer and skip the intermediate part, stitch the new line to the old line.

Vaya con Dios

Last edited by bestfriend; 06-23-2007 at 12:10 PM.
Old 06-23-2007

Tom Miller is on a distinguished road
how to change halyard

The way I've done it several times in the past is to make a clean non-frayed cut on both the old and new halyard. Then butt the ends together and sew the ends to each other with needle and thread about five laces and then put a one layer piece of tape over the ends and carefully pull 'er thru. Has worked well every time I've done it.

Tom
Old 06-23-2007
Quit calling me a member

morganmike is on a distinguished road
I use duct tape. EB green, actually, but regular duct tape works just fine. Butt the new halyard up to the end of the old, tape together, then make sure you have a nice flat lay of tape at least 6" on either side of the butt. It's low profile, slides right over the sheave, and no stitching required. And it's usually no problem to get offf the line, which is part of why I say use 6" on either side of the butt. It's much faster than stitching, and whipping doesn't work over my sheaves. Never lost a halyard with this method, "wrong" though it may be.
Old 06-23-2007
Zingaro

mpraca is on a distinguished road
I tried both previous methods combined, although I used masking tape - I admit - and I pulled the old halyard until I felt a little resistance at the sheeve, at which point I was compelled to yank carefully on the line. As expected it started running freely again, in fact, too freely and it picked up speed as it fell trough the mast quicker than I could collect. Then to complete the process I hiked up the mast with the new line (which I neglected to mention, also fell down) and I fed it through the sheeve until it was carefully balanced. Then I came down and fished the end out of the slot in the mast (it runs inside the mast).
This may seem more complicated but it would also work had I skipped the first part.
_^_____
Oh salsus mare!
quantus vestri salis
est lacrima Portucalis

Last edited by mpraca; 06-23-2007 at 03:02 PM.
Old 06-23-2007
Senior Moment

SailorMitch will become famous soon enough
Duct tape works great. Use something larger than string for the messenger line though. Butt the 2 ends together as others have said and lay them on at least a 9-12 inch length of duct tape. Then roll it all up like a cigar nice and tight. Tug on it a few times to make sure it holds, and then go at it. I've done it this way for years without a problem. The tape rolls right through the sheaves without a problem.

"Compassion and tolerance are not a sign of weakness, but a sign of strength." The Dalai Lama

good planets are hard to find-- a song by steve forbert

I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience. I know no way of judging the future but by the past.-- Patrick Henry.
Old 06-23-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
One sneaky way to do it is to remove a bit of the core of the old line, and then feed the new line into the outer braid of the old line. Then whip the overlap and through stitch... Should be fairly difficult to screw up, thin enough to fit through the sheaves and really tough to separate.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-24-2007

theArchitect is on a distinguished road
Hey Eggman, I just did this today. I duct taped abour 6" of thin nylon line to the halyard and pulled the old halyard down. I have a wire to rope splice that I need replicated. When I get the new halyard back from the rigger, I'll send it back up on the nylon line. Good luck!
Old 03-09-2009

pbwdance is on a distinguished road
replacing halyards

I have to say the suggestion to remove a portion of the center of one line, feed a slightly smaller diameter line into it and lash it properly together with a bit of sewing worked great for me.
Old 03-09-2009
Irrationally Exuberant

arf145 is on a distinguished road
I just used the method Tom Miller describes yesterday in replacing both my halyards. I sewed the back side of the new halyard to the former shackle end of the old, then reinforced with one layer of duct tape. My jib halyard balked a bit with more than one layer of duct tape, but went through fine with one layer. No messenger line and your new halyard is in place.

2000 Beneteau 331
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy ~ Steven Wright