Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-24-2007
Fairly Average Member

paulfoxBVI is on a distinguished road
Saurav16, is yours a raw water cooled system? That would be the only way I could see a problem, and that would be due to an equiptment failure. I haven't dealt with one of those in about 15 years, and even back then....

I'm the kinda guy Tomaz mentioned if I shut the seacock to my heat exchanger for any reason, I would have to put tape over my ignition switch and write a BIG note as a reminder. I'd swing her over and remember while saying "do you smell something smoking? OH #@&%!!!!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-24-2007

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
A related question might be "do you close your EXHAUST outlet"?

Mine is on the starboard side close to the waterline...not in the stern as with 95% of the boats out there...and I can see a hard heel to starboard perhaps forcing water up the modest incline and back down to the waterlift.

I have heard that following seas are occasionally a problem with stern-exhaust boats in that water can be forced up beyond the usual loop and back into the 'can", making for nastiness of a distressingly familiar type.

As for the raw water intake, on the new boat I have a fresh water circuit and a Perko strainer glass on the raw water circuit mounted fairly high. The water has to climb and fall a bit before it even gets to the raw water pump, so I don't worry much.

On the old boat, I left it open underway, but closed it and all other seacocks when away from the boat, except for the cockpit scuppers. I've seen more than one boat sinking or sunk at dock due to a failed hoseclamp or hose in this particular area. I simply hang the starter key on the thru-hull handle.
Old 06-24-2007

Cgullseeker is on a distinguished road
on boats with the engine below the waterline if the intake line was installed properly there will be a vented loop as long as the vent works you are fine if it sticks shut you will siphone water into the engine over time. I have seen it happen to two boats in the last 20 years one a Kubota was caught before the SW went into the oil the other completely flooded the engine but was caught in hours the engine was flushed out and had multiple oil changes that day and was fine and running ok the next day
Old 06-24-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
It might be worth installing a check valve in the line, if you are really having any issues with water intruding.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-24-2007
Banned

seabreeze_97 is on a distinguished road
If it's good enough to be open when the engine is in operation, it's good enough to be open under sail. This is where routine, but diligent maintenance and inspection really pays off.
Old 06-24-2007
can't re member

yotphix is on a distinguished road
I'd have to agree that if you are taking water in at either end you should be fixing the problem rather than just closing the valve. I couldn't see closing it unless I am away from the boat, having starting problems or cleaning my strainer.
Old 06-25-2007
Wish I never found SN!

SimonV will become famous soon enough
When you are on the boat keep it open, swap engine keys with hatch keys and hang tem on the valve, you will neaver lose either.

I love my boat
S/V GOODONYA
Brisbane
present location Heading to the Whitesundays

DELIVERY SKIPPER
Drinking Rum before 10am makes you a Pirate NOT an alcohlic
Old 06-25-2007

pigslo is on a distinguished road
I would consider it poor seamanship to close it while under sail as it needs to be available in an emergency.
pigslo
Old 06-25-2007

tomaz_423 will become famous soon enough
Exclamation

I sometimes leave the seacoks of my head in open position for emergency too.
A man has to GO, when a man HAS to go.

Beneteau Oceanis 473

full time cruising