Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-25-2007

puff6022 is on a distinguished road
absolutely. I had the same problem on the same engine. Sounds exactly like the problems that I had. Do yourself a favor. Replace it. It is easy if you remove the 4 bolts on the exhaust manifold, the elbow comes with it and the change the elbow out on a workbench.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-25-2007
Banned

Rickm505 is on a distinguished road
Before you start spending $100s on engine parts. Change the Racor Filter. Remember, it's your primary filter. White smoke could be a sign of water in the fuel. When you go to the store to get the filter, ask them for a fuel additive to eliminate the water. It's only a couple of bucks.

You'll have to bleed again all the way to the input of the injector pump as you've done once already.

99% of the time, these two steps will correct the problem. If it doesn't then you can expand the diagnosis area and head for that mixing elbow.

Rick in Florida
Old 06-25-2007

Northeaster is on a distinguished road
thanks for all of the advice. I will change out the racor tomorrow, and if that doesn't do it, look at the elbow!
Old 06-26-2007

As the boat is an hour drive away - have a couple of questions before I go:

My racor (don't know the model #) has the clear glass, with the drain at the bottom. I never looked at it very closely, just enough to see the fuel looked clear - boat is new to me - Could it just be a water separator, or do the clear ones always have a filter as well (I assume in the housing above the clear glass)

I called a local boat dealer, but they don't stock racor filters. They said to tyr a local auto parts store - they could cross reference the filter, and give me something similar. Does taht sound right? There are no marine diesel shops nearby!
Old 06-26-2007

rperret is on a distinguished road
Just asked a similar question a while ago...

See link below to determine what filter you have.
MARINE FUEL FILTRATION

Where do you live - if in Northeast - try Mack Boring. Would strongly recommend you get from a marine supplier rather than auto parts - although a more informed person would be able to tell if auto and marine filter is the same.

To answer your first question - the filter is above the clear glass. The clear bottom is for seeing the water - water is heavier than diesel so would show seperation at bottom.
Old 06-26-2007
Senior Moment

SailorMitch will become famous soon enough
Waste (West to the uninitiated) Marine sells the Racor filters.

"Compassion and tolerance are not a sign of weakness, but a sign of strength." The Dalai Lama

good planets are hard to find-- a song by steve forbert

I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience. I know no way of judging the future but by the past.-- Patrick Henry.
Old 06-26-2007

great link - Thanks very much. I am having computer issues, and couldn't search for Racor filters.

I am pretty sure mine is the 120 Series RMAM (diesel spin-on).
Old 06-26-2007

rperret is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorMitch
Waste (West to the uninitiated) Marine sells the Racor filters.
aka Worst Marine
Old 06-26-2007

RAGTIMEDON is on a distinguished road
If you go to an auto parts store, go to one that serves a lot of trucks. Diesel fuel filters and gasoline filters are vastly different. I buy my primary filters from a Caterpillar dealer---never had a problem.
Old 06-26-2007

Found the problem - after changing out the very clean racor filter, and re-bleeding - turned out that it was the transmission not going all the way into forward. I noticed that the propeller shaft turned faster in reverse, than in forward, and the engine sounded / worked better. The transmission shifter pulls back for forward, and although the cable was pulling teh lever back, it was pulling it back and up as well - because of the cable mount / angle.
When I push the transmission lever, with my hand, it clunks into gear and immediately goes faster. I jmoved teh cable mount a little lower, so it pulls more back , than back and up, and it helped some, but I still have to fine tune it. Now, when I shift into forward, it takes a few seconds of revving up, before it clunks, and goes hard into forward. I think I need to play around with the cable adjustments.

At least I know what the problem is, and I learned alot about the fuel system!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.