Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-25-2007

MarkWood is on a distinguished road
Radar Installation Issues

I recently had a Raymarine Radar installed on the mast, just above the spreader on my Catalina 36. The problem is that the radar cable running down the mast is slapping very loudly with any movement of the boat.

The contractor who installed this unit tried "tightening" the cable, but it has only gotten worse. My hunch is that it should have been run thru conduit, and wasn't.

Anyone out there know the proper way to address this issue?

Thanks,

Mark Wood
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-25-2007

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Run it through conduit. A cheap alternative, although the halyards might chew it up eventually, is the sort of foam pipe insulation, snugged with electrical tape, that insulates copper plumbing. I've heard of the smaller type of "pool noodle" working as well. Regardless, the mast will need to come down, or you'll have to turn up the white noise maker until haul out.
Old 06-25-2007
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
I remember hearing of a method of securing the wire by drilling a small hole in the mast, inserting a wire hook, hopefully "snagging" the offending wire, pull the hook tight and somehow rivet it snug from the outside.....

Sounds a bit hoky, but maybe it's doable with the sizable radar cable.
Old 06-25-2007

btrayfors will become famous soon enough btrayfors will become famous soon enough
The proper way to do it is to run it through a channel or conduit.

A cheap fix which works pretty well....IF you can get to the wire....is to use cable ties, arranged at about 18" centers. At each chosen point, tie three cable ties around the wire at 120 degrees separation. The plastic ends make contact with the mast and stop the cable slapping.

I know how annoying this is; I lived with a similar situation for years, until I bit the bullet and installed a proper channel for the wire.

Bill
Old 06-25-2007
Full-time Cruiser

jonlgauthier is on a distinguished road
Mark,

Your Catalina is a 2001 model according to your profile. It should have existing conduit in the mast - so I'd think your installer took the lazy way out. It may well be that he was too lazy to run a fish tape thru the conduit (was the install done with the mast already stepped?)

I'd have him re-do it for no additional charge. It appears he didn't do it right the first time, and you shouldn't have to pay for it done right. If he's not on the up-and-up, he may feed you a story about how the current in the radar cable will affect your wind instrument, or your VHF will affect the radar if it's run in the same conduit. Baloney.
1979 Formosa 51 Ketch
Homeport: Marblehead, MA USA
Old 06-25-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Mark-

I'd have to agree that you should ask the marine contractor to do a proper installation of the cable. It was botched...and should be rectified.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-26-2007

MarkWood is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog
Mark-

I'd have to agree that you should ask the marine contractor to do a proper installation of the cable. It was botched...and should be rectified.
Thanks everyone for your input.

I did talk with the contractor, who attempted once to correct it, but is not giving me the impression he is going "to do the right thing" without some shall I say "convincing". Which is why I'm gathering the information to be certain I have all my facts straight before I begin further action.

Mark
Old 06-26-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
This is one reason I try to pay contractors with a credit card, if at all possible. The credit card company can be an 1800 lb. gorilla in your corner should you have a problem with the work done.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.