Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-25-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'd go with the 3.5 HP Tohatsu. The reason is that you will, at some point, run into a situation where the extra HP are going to be needed. The air-cooled Hondas, while nice and light and very low-maintenance, aren't going to cut it in that situation...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-26-2007

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
I'll check it out. The Tohatsus seem identical to the Mercuries.
Old 06-26-2007

stevemac00 is on a distinguished road
I bought the Honda 2HP/4Stroke new (buy it now) from an ebay dealer in Wisconsin. Cost me $750 (or $850 - not sure) and $25 shipping. Was a very good deal compared to others. It's light, air-cooled, efficient and moves my dinghy fast enough.
Old 06-26-2007

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
If they made an air-cooled 3 or 4 HP under, say, 45 pounds, it would be a lock.

Really, I just need four knots of speed in enclosed waters. If it was heavier than that, we would either bring in the big boat or set up the sailing rig on the dinghy and bash our way in.
Old 06-26-2007

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
I bought over the winter a 2006 2 hp honda from a local marine here in South Jersey for $650.00. Brand new picked it up with the jeep.
Old 06-26-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
They are... tohatsu makes both..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valiente
I'll check it out. The Tohatsus seem identical to the Mercuries.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-26-2007

nolatom will become famous soon enough
The Yamaha 4hp single-cylinder 4-stroke is a nice little motor. It's on the Beneteau First 7.5 I sail on, and does fine.
Old 06-26-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Hi Val,

How are you? Do you miss Portugal?

Anyways, just read this and will throw in some thoughts. I hope they are on target for what you are looking for.

I have owned a 2.5 Nissan 2 stroke that was a really good running engine. I know many people are going to 4 strokes (me included), but I have been told (TOLD, not 1st hand) that all the islands had 2 stroke parts, not 4 stroke parts. Thus, you might find yourself stranded without parts if you adhere to the 4 stroke. Just check that out.

I have also owned 2 Merc's (a 5 and a 6hp now) and a Yamaha 8. The best I have ever owned was the Yamaha. I understand that Merc does not make their own engine line under (is it 15????), but I wonder if they ar getting the cheaper off market crap since they are subbing it out??

I cannot say for sure, so take my comments as such. In any event, first hand, I will say that the 6 hp merc I have right now is a beautifully black POS that has already been rebuilt once (only 2 years old) and will likely be rebuilt again. Merc did not stand up for the warranty like I would have wished - they said it is fuel related problems. I have determined that it will always be fuel related problems with them... even if the prop flew off. Know what I mean??

Good luck. Not sure if that info was much help, but thought I would try.

- CD

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 06-26-2007
... a logical conclusion

Sequitur is on a distinguished road
I have an electric outboard with a rechargeable lithium-manganese battery that gives a range of 12 to 15 nautical miles on a charge. It will very quietly push my Walker Bay Genesis 310 RIB to near hull speed and it weighs only 11.4 kilos and folds into 31 x 32 x 45 cm bag. The best thing about it is that I don't have gasoline on board.

1908 Wildschut Skűtsje

Old 06-26-2007

Cgullseeker is on a distinguished road
go on ebay and get a British Seagull forty plus they are still the best out board for the world. I tow my dink it has a scanvik dinghy bailer that will drain it at a half knot we tow with up to 175 feet of line behind.