Recommendations sought for small outboard - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 Old 06-25-2007 Thread Starter

Recommendations sought for small outboard

It looks like I'm favouring a 10-foot nesting dinghy plus a 10-foot PortaBote for my tenders when we shove off in 2009. Having two tenders will allow both my wife and I to go off in different directions when at anchor, plus the sailing option on the nesting dinghy will give my son some recreation and some freedom in lagoons, etc.

I have mentioned before that I am "off" RIBs due to my dislike of davits and the vast amount of foredeck and 100-lbs. plus weight issues. This makes both my 9.9 HP Honda long-shaft 4-stroke and my 9.9 HP Mercury two-stroke effectively surplus, and I will be selling both.

The maximum HP for both of the "projected" tenders is 4 HP. I am looking for opinions on the new crop of light (under 50 lbs./luggable) 4-stroke outboards. I don't want to plane these tenders, I want a 4-knots of speed alternative to rowing distances, and portability and mechanical ease of care and repair is important.

I am leaning toward the Honda BF2, which is air-cooled and very light at 29 lbs. with a 20" shaft. I like the fact it doesn't require a freshwater flush, and that it weighs about the same as a case of beer, meaning even my tiny wife can one-arm it. I don't care that it needs more frequent oil changes (50 hr. cycles, under a pint of oil) and I don't care that it's a little louder, being air-cooled. I don't plan to use it extensively when I can sail or row...just for garbage/laundry/provision runs.

Any other recommendations? Is there a decent 4-stroke at the 4 HP level? (Not the Mariner 4 HP two-stroke...I've seen a number of these crapboxes break down).
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 06-25-2007
Wandering Aimlessly

Most of the small hp motors nowdays are made by Tohatshu and then rebranded. I looked at the Honda 2hp, but found it a bit on the pricey side at well over $200 more than my Nissan.

Currently at 36 03 21 N 76 36 37 W

John
Ontario 32 - Aria

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 28 Old 06-25-2007

I've had a Honda 2 Hp. for a couple years now and it's been excellent, dockmate just got a new Suzuki 2.5 Hp 4 stroke that weighs right at 30 lbs. like the Honda. Suzuki had forward and neutral gears and was maybe $100 less than the Honda.
post #4 of 28 Old 06-25-2007
Just another Moderator

AS PB indicates, most small 2 strokes are Tohatsu-built. We've had good luck with the Nissan line, models 3 - 5 hp over the years. And Nissan offers double the warranty (or at least they used to)

If it's a 4 stroke you're after, then the options are limited in that size range.
post #5 of 28 Old 06-25-2007

I have had a 2-hp Yamaha 2-cycle for 5 years and it has been very reliable. It only weighs 22 lbs! The new version is a 4-cycle and only weighs a bit more. Worth a look.
post #6 of 28 Old 06-25-2007

Not sure I want to admit this, and in this range I don't know, but before deciding on sailing, we were thinking about fishing, and Suzuki seemed to be the motor we'd prefer. The only drawback seemed to be the support network. Apparently, Suzuki is (was) the leader worldwide in outboard motor sales. On a vacation to Venice, (the one in Italy) we noticed that almost all of the outboards were Suzuki.
post #7 of 28 Old 06-25-2007
Wandering Aimlessly

Actually, most of the new under 9.9 hp motors are 4 stroke. My Nissan is a bit heavier than the Honda, but otherwise, pretty much the same features.

Currently at 36 03 21 N 76 36 37 W

John
Ontario 32 - Aria

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog

post #8 of 28 Old 06-25-2007 Thread Starter

Any air-cooled models, like the Honda? I know it's expensive, but it's also air-cooled and light, making me happier in a seaway. It will go on and off either dinghy relatively frequently and on a mount in the workshop otherwise.

If it was staying permanently mounted, the weight (up to 50 lbs.) wouldn't matter much, because it would go onto a rail mount. But I am getting two tenders, both more or less collapsible, and so it must be regularly stowed.

I would prefer a 4-stroke, but will entertain 2-stroke suggestions. They are not yet banned here, although I certainly notice that my Mercury 9.9, while powerful enough to get my RIB on the plane with two adults and a child aboard (better than my Honda 9.9!), is noisier by far and is a dirty bugger with the exhaust and the occasional drip.
post #9 of 28 Old 06-25-2007
SENIOR CHIEF

These are a bit heavy, but very inexpensive and simple. I would imagine, if you can work on your lawn mower, you could work on one of these.!
Features/Specs - Briggs & Stratton
post #10 of 28 Old 06-25-2007 Thread Starter

B&S are interesting, but they are explicity just for fresh water use. Besides, by sheer coincidence there was a news item today announcing a mass recall of their snowblowers due to the potential if over-primed to burst into flames...

Briggs & Stratton Snow Thrower Engines Recalled Due to Fire Hazard

It's a bit off-putting. But thanks for the suggestion. They do meet the "simple and reliable and air-cooled" aspects, but are about two horses too many and 20 pounds overlimit.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.