SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Recommendations sought for small outboard

5K views 27 replies 15 participants last post by  sailingdog 
#1 ·
It looks like I'm favouring a 10-foot nesting dinghy plus a 10-foot PortaBote for my tenders when we shove off in 2009. Having two tenders will allow both my wife and I to go off in different directions when at anchor, plus the sailing option on the nesting dinghy will give my son some recreation and some freedom in lagoons, etc.

I have mentioned before that I am "off" RIBs due to my dislike of davits and the vast amount of foredeck and 100-lbs. plus weight issues. This makes both my 9.9 HP Honda long-shaft 4-stroke and my 9.9 HP Mercury two-stroke effectively surplus, and I will be selling both.

The maximum HP for both of the "projected" tenders is 4 HP. I am looking for opinions on the new crop of light (under 50 lbs./luggable) 4-stroke outboards. I don't want to plane these tenders, I want a 4-knots of speed alternative to rowing distances, and portability and mechanical ease of care and repair is important.

I am leaning toward the Honda BF2, which is air-cooled and very light at 29 lbs. with a 20" shaft. I like the fact it doesn't require a freshwater flush, and that it weighs about the same as a case of beer, meaning even my tiny wife can one-arm it. I don't care that it needs more frequent oil changes (50 hr. cycles, under a pint of oil) and I don't care that it's a little louder, being air-cooled. I don't plan to use it extensively when I can sail or row...just for garbage/laundry/provision runs.

Any other recommendations? Is there a decent 4-stroke at the 4 HP level? (Not the Mariner 4 HP two-stroke...I've seen a number of these crapboxes break down).

See less See more
#2 ·
Most of the small hp motors nowdays are made by Tohatshu and then rebranded. I looked at the Honda 2hp, but found it a bit on the pricey side at well over $200 more than my Nissan.

Currently at 36 03 21 N 76 36 37 W

#3 ·
I've had a Honda 2 Hp. for a couple years now and it's been excellent, dockmate just got a new Suzuki 2.5 Hp 4 stroke that weighs right at 30 lbs. like the Honda. Suzuki had forward and neutral gears and was maybe $100 less than the Honda.

#4 ·
AS PB indicates, most small 2 strokes are Tohatsu-built. We've had good luck with the Nissan line, models 3 - 5 hp over the years. And Nissan offers double the warranty (or at least they used to)

If it's a 4 stroke you're after, then the options are limited in that size range.

#6 ·
Not sure I want to admit this, and in this range I don't know, but before deciding on sailing, we were thinking about fishing, and Suzuki seemed to be the motor we'd prefer. The only drawback seemed to be the support network. Apparently, Suzuki is (was) the leader worldwide in outboard motor sales. On a vacation to Venice, (the one in Italy) we noticed that almost all of the outboards were Suzuki.

#7 ·
Actually, most of the new under 9.9 hp motors are 4 stroke. My Nissan is a bit heavier than the Honda, but otherwise, pretty much the same features.

Currently at 36 03 21 N 76 36 37 W

#8 ·
Any air-cooled models, like the Honda? I know it's expensive, but it's also air-cooled and light, making me happier in a seaway. It will go on and off either dinghy relatively frequently and on a mount in the workshop otherwise.

If it was staying permanently mounted, the weight (up to 50 lbs.) wouldn't matter much, because it would go onto a rail mount. But I am getting two tenders, both more or less collapsible, and so it must be regularly stowed.

I would prefer a 4-stroke, but will entertain 2-stroke suggestions. They are not yet banned here, although I certainly notice that my Mercury 9.9, while powerful enough to get my RIB on the plane with two adults and a child aboard (better than my Honda 9.9!), is noisier by far and is a dirty bugger with the exhaust and the occasional drip.

#10 ·
B&S are interesting, but they are explicity just for fresh water use. Besides, by sheer coincidence there was a news item today announcing a mass recall of their snowblowers due to the potential if over-primed to burst into flames...

Briggs & Stratton Snow Thrower Engines Recalled Due to Fire Hazard

It's a bit off-putting. But thanks for the suggestion. They do meet the "simple and reliable and air-cooled" aspects, but are about two horses too many and 20 pounds overlimit.

#11 ·
I'd go with the 3.5 HP Tohatsu. The reason is that you will, at some point, run into a situation where the extra HP are going to be needed. The air-cooled Hondas, while nice and light and very low-maintenance, aren't going to cut it in that situation...

#15 ·
I bought over the winter a 2006 2 hp honda from a local marine here in South Jersey for $650.00. Brand new picked it up with the jeep.

#16 ·
They are... tohatsu makes both..
Valiente said:
I'll check it out. The Tohatsus seem identical to the Mercuries.

#18 ·
Hi Val,

How are you? Do you miss Portugal?

Anyways, just read this and will throw in some thoughts. I hope they are on target for what you are looking for.

I have owned a 2.5 Nissan 2 stroke that was a really good running engine. I know many people are going to 4 strokes (me included), but I have been told (TOLD, not 1st hand) that all the islands had 2 stroke parts, not 4 stroke parts. Thus, you might find yourself stranded without parts if you adhere to the 4 stroke. Just check that out.

I have also owned 2 Merc's (a 5 and a 6hp now) and a Yamaha 8. The best I have ever owned was the Yamaha. I understand that Merc does not make their own engine line under (is it 15????), but I wonder if they ar getting the cheaper off market crap since they are subbing it out??

I cannot say for sure, so take my comments as such. In any event, first hand, I will say that the 6 hp merc I have right now is a beautifully black POS that has already been rebuilt once (only 2 years old) and will likely be rebuilt again. Merc did not stand up for the warranty like I would have wished - they said it is fuel related problems. I have determined that it will always be fuel related problems with them... even if the prop flew off. Know what I mean??

Good luck. Not sure if that info was much help, but thought I would try.

- CD

#19 ·
I have an electric outboard with a rechargeable lithium-manganese battery that gives a range of 12 to 15 nautical miles on a charge. It will very quietly push my Walker Bay Genesis 310 RIB to near hull speed and it weighs only 11.4 kilos and folds into 31 x 32 x 45 cm bag. The best thing about it is that I don't have gasoline on board.

#21 ·
Sequitur said:
I have an electric outboard with a rechargeable lithium-manganese battery that gives a range of 12 to 15 nautical miles on a charge. It will very quietly push my Walker Bay Genesis 310 RIB to near hull speed and it weighs only 11.4 kilos and folds into 31 x 32 x 45 cm bag. The best thing about it is that I don't have gasoline on board.
CD, yes I miss Portugal and will be back.

My upper limit for both dinghies is 4 HP, as per manufacturers' specs. My upper weight limit is 40 pounds or what my 115 lb. wife can easily single-arm (she's a wiry wee thing!). I own a Mercury 9.9 two-stroke that is OK and puts my Zodiac c310 RIB on the plane with two adults and a child, but I prefer the lesser noise and pollution and economy of a 4-stroke, despite the weight penalty. I can see and smell that even a well-maintained 2-stroke is a pretty dirty engine.

As for spares, whatever I get I will carry nominal spares with me. The engine is a true auxiliary for obtaining supplies in selected anchorages when rowing or sailing in is impractical. Big loads taken on will happen at dock, and little loads will happen by oar or sail. I am with the Pardeys on this score.

Sequitur, what brand of electric are you talking about? I hadn't considered electric, but given that I'll have a great deal of electrical production capacity aboard (including a portable genset), perhaps I should consider this if the thrust is equivalent to that of a 2-3 HP engine. My only concern would be the life cycle and recharge cycle of lithium batts, as they tend to self-discharge at a relatively rapid rate. I would also be concerned about electrical motors in salt-water environments. I have yet to see a Minn-Kota type of motor in a saltwater environment.

Any comment on this would be welcome.

#22 ·
The Tohatsu 3.5 HP four-stroke is about 36 lbs...and meets the weight and power requirements...

Lithium-based batteries have the lowest self-discharge rate of rechargable batteries, but have a very finite lifespan—about three years as a maximum, regardless of use—shorter if abused.

#23 ·
Cgullseeker said:
go on ebay and get a British Seagull forty plus they are still the best out board for the world. I tow my dink it has a scanvik dinghy bailer that will drain it at a half knot we tow with up to 175 feet of line behind.
While no doubt reliable, the Seagull is too heavy and too superannuated for my needs. I have three Atomic 4s in my garage and one working one on my second boat. That's enough of Antiques Sail Show for me.:D

#24 · (Edited)
By far, at least in our sailing grounds, the Mercury 2-stroke 3.3 hp has been the most popular and longest lasting small tender outboard. We've had ours for 10 years and aside from plugs, the only replacement part has been a new fuel valve/filter.

Unfortunately, Merc's phased out all their 2-strokes, with the 2.5 & 3.5 4-strokes being their smallest units. As SD pointed out, they're still made by Tohatsu.

#26 ·
Valiente said:
Sequitur, what brand of electric are you talking about? I hadn't considered electric, but given that I'll have a great deal of electrical production capacity aboard (including a portable genset), perhaps I should consider this if the thrust is equivalent to that of a 2-3 HP engine.
It is a German-made motor called Torqeedo. torqeedo: Product description Its thrust is rated as the equivalent of a 2hp gasoline outboard.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.