SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Converting Kenyon Stove to Propane

8K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  sprega 
#1 ·
Anyone did that? It should be basicaly easy, replace the burners, and do the plumbing. Am i right?

#4 ·
Everlong said:
Anyone did that? It should be basicaly easy, replace the burners, and do the plumbing. Am i right?
Yes. Check up the latest regs, though...you can't use flared ends on copper tubing anymore, I think. I started this job, but didn't finish it due to time constraints, but I've seen it finished on a sister boat with an old Kenyon Homestrand stovetop, once fuelled by expensive, cool-burning, flare-prone alcohol.

"Side burners" from barbeque supply shops are 10,000 BTU-rated and work well. Just make sure you have the requisite solenoid shut off and propane sniffer AND CO detector installed...propane requires respect. Also, propane is a pretty damp fuel...consider how you will vent the galley.

#9 ·
I converted the alcohol stoves on two of our previous boats to propane after my dad did his. All we did was pull off the little gas disperser dome thingys and double the amount of air holes by drilling another set of holes and then pull off the alcohol pressure tank and hook up a line to a little coleman camp stove regulator and tank. Worked great. I was young and poor back then, so didn't know anything about ABYC and didn't have the money to buy a propane stove.

#10 ·
Hi ray. Now I'm old and poor. Cindy and I just bought an old o'day 27 with an alky two burner with oven range. I'll have to give you a call to talk about your propane conversion. We are going up to Everett on Sunday to sail her down to port orchard where we will Moore her at Suldens. Regards to Sandy.....cuz Gene

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.