Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-26-2007
AHOY!

rireefguy is on a distinguished road
Cooler Suggestions?

As ice is my primary means of refrigeration, and my current cooler might as well be a trash bag (eats ice and leaks). Anyone have a suggestion on what I should purchase. I hear that the Coleman xtreme is pretty good. Cost is not really an issue unless it is more than a cold plate kit =) Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-26-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Get an Engel or a Norcold portable refrigerator. They're available in various sizes and relatively affordable. They run off of 12VDC or 110 VAC... so they're good for use when you're sailing or when you're dockside.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-26-2007
sestivers

It sounds like you're talking about a portable cooler to be used instead of a built-in ice box. That is what I do, my boat is about 30 years old and its ice box is not very good either. Any modern cooler made by Igloo or other similar manufacturer will be much better. I can usually last an entire weekend on one bag of ice in a medium-sized cooler. Sometimes I think about removing the built-in and leaving a custom-sized space to just put a normal, portable cooler which is easier to clean out and is more efficient. But, alas, I have many other things to do.
Old 06-26-2007
Here .. Pull this

Sailormann will become famous soon enough
I have a couple of Coleman coolers - one is a regular plastic blue one - holds beer on ice for about 6 to 8 hours (not that beer usually lasts that long but we fell asleep once ) - the other one is a bigger grey one with a white lid that has drink holders moulded in to the top. The grey one holds ice for a good three or four day binge... it's actually pretty surprising. I am not sure if it is the "Extreme" model or not, bought it a couple of years ago.

However, if you have the battery power I would go with one of the portable Engel thingies...
Old 06-28-2007

PassionKid is on a distinguished road
We very easily solved this problem - with a bag of ice costing $2.50 - $3 ... we purchased a cheap 12-volt cooler (you know the type - with the built-in refrigeration unit in it). We waited until it went on sail (haha), and purchased it for about $50. Then we took the lid, made a small wooden frame for it to fit in top of, and afixed it over the boats existing cooler box ... so now we have a 12-volt fridge for $50, not to mention when its not in use we can take the lid off and use it with the cooler as it was intended. There is a 12-volt lighter plug right above the area (if there wasn't, one can be easily made).

The cooler unit over the ice box solution doesn't make ice, but it does maintain the coolness of the box and keeps your drinks and food cold.

Maybe you can try that?
Old 06-28-2007

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
rireef-
You'll also find that BLOCK ICE lasts way way longer than ice cubes. Usually sold at fishing (bait) stores, or you can freeze your own, using an ice cream half gallon carton or other container in your freezer. If you know anyone at a local store witha commercial freezer--they can freeze it colder, and that counts too.
Old 06-28-2007

PassionKid is on a distinguished road
... or, you could do the old camping trick and fill up 2 liter pop bottles with water, then freeze them at home. So doing this you not only have a large mass of ice, but when it thaws you have great drinking water from an easy-to-use pour-able container!

This idea comes from my trusty father-in-law who has taught me everything I know about sailing

Last edited by PassionKid; 06-28-2007 at 11:40 AM.
Old 06-28-2007
SENIOR CHIEF

USCGRET1990 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassionKid
... or, you could do the old camping trick and fill up 2 liter pop bottles with water, then freeze them at home. So doing this you not only have a large mass of ice, but when it thaws you have great drinking water from an easy-to-use pour-able container!

This idea comes from my trusty father-in-law who has taught me everything I know about sailing
I find that the one quart soda bottles fit in the cooler better
Be sure to leave room for expansion before freezing
Old 06-28-2007
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
For several years, we've used Igloo brand coolers for beverages whenever we do extended trips. This (obviously) leaves more room in the fridge for food. As was mentioned, block ice lasts much longer than cubes - but leaves everything floating in the bottom of the cooler, and the frozen plastic bottles - being cylindrical, are space-hogs.

One trick we used is to find some palatable boxed wine - the larger size that holds the equivilent of (5) .75 liter bottles of wine. Once empty - remove the mylar coated plastic bags from two boxes, and discard the boxes. Pop off the rubber stopper/spouts and fill with tap water after rinsing - but don't overfill to a balloon shape. Keep the "pillow" relatively flat.

Then lay the bags flat on the bottom of your home's freezer. The next morning, you will find that 2 ice bags will cover the bottom of a 70 qt. Igloo cooler very nicely, without taking up much space. The Mylar coating helps insulate the ice, staying solid for up to 4 days (depending upon outside temps) and the bags retains all the water, leaving the cooler dry.

The biggest problem with this idea, is finding boxed wine worth drinking.
Old 06-28-2007
AHOY!

rireefguy is on a distinguished road
All great advice. I especially like the $50 fridge idea and the box o wine ice blocks. Thanks to all that responded.