Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-23-2002

bugged is on a distinguished road
Diesel vs 4 stroke outboard???

Hi again, need to pick the brains from those who have been there, done that.
I have a 26'' Chrysler sailboat w/ swing keel.I plan on taking it from Kenosha Wi.(Lake Michigan)through the great lakes, out the canal system (or St Lawrence??) to the I.C.W. & then to the Bahamas & points south.
My question is, I have on my boat now a 9.9 hp Yamaha 4 stroke outboard. I have the opportunity to purchase a used 9 hp yanmar diesel w/ trans. for about $1500. From what I can see it will cost me another $1000 in parts to install the diesel.
My S/O seems to think that the outboard will "wear out" getting to the Bahamas & that I should fork over the $$$ to do the diesel. What I am looking for is experienced honest opinions on the matter.
I''m not trying to prove anyone wrong or right, I would just like ideas before I make a decision that I can''t undo.
Thanks in advance!!!!

Larry C
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-24-2002

kimberlite is on a distinguished road

how much cabin space will you lose with the engine and fuel tank?
sounds like that trip will take a lot of motoring.
eric
Old 02-24-2002

BigRed56 is on a distinguished road

Ahoy , Engine boy, DO IT I just took out a diesel and am looking for an outboard bring it with you I''ll give you $100.00 Bucks for it. Big Red 56 the Pirate of Pine Island.
Old 02-24-2002

KPBaker is on a distinguished road

I also have a 26 ft.boat and I debated the same question (inboard vs.outboard) when I purchased her. I opted for the inboard diesel because I knew that I would be doing some longer trips with her and the increased fuel range of the diesel would be beneficial. On my boat, I try to think of back up systems for most everything. Since I have a small dinghy I use with the boat, I decided to add a outboard stern bracket on her. If I were to have a major break down with my diesel, I could use the outboard off the dinghy in an urgent situation. Also, storing the outboard on the stern bracket makes it easier to put the outboad on the dinghy since it''s lower to the water. In my opinion, considering the type of trip you you are planning and the price of the inboard diesel I think you should install the diesel.
Old 02-25-2002

gershel is on a distinguished road

Hi,I have a PDQ catamaran with 2-9.9 yamahas.Of all PDQ,s built,about 3/4 or more are with OBs. The advantages are,ease of self maintanance,lifing when sailing,no shaft & log problems,no electrolosis problems,quiet. Deisels are usually very reliable,use less fuel,but are difficult to repair yourself,expensive if you can''t.I think going to that expense with a used engine is very risky."If it ain''t broke don''t fix it". At any given time there are 15-20 PDQs with OBs in the Bahamas& Carib.The other thing is,you will never recover that cost when you sell the boat.
Marc
Old 02-25-2002

gershel is on a distinguished road

P.S. Don''t listen to Red. Those engines bring $1500 any day of the week.
Marc
Old 02-28-2002

capedorian is on a distinguished road

If the boat has not been designed to support an inboard, you may put in about $7000 to redesign the hull and install stringers. Plus it probably won''t sail worth a crap. Might be cheaper on that size boat if you want inboard to just buy another boat with inboard. BTW...
a few years ago a Japanese man crossed the pacific with a Tohatsu powered launch. Treated properly the outboard will give you many years of service.
Old 03-01-2002

danaa is on a distinguished road

If your boat isn''t designed for an inboard, don''t do it. If it is then it could be a good move for the size cruise you are doing especially since a lot of motoring will be involved...good luck
Old 03-04-2002

JohnDrake is on a distinguished road

Not sure there is a correct answer. Having owned boats with both, in general, I would take the 4 stroke OB over the diesel. New outboards are VERY reliable and low maintenance. The 4 stroke Yammy is fairly fuel efficient, especially at 9.9.

However, it seems that you wish to make a very very long trip in a small boat that might require lengthy periods of motoring. In general diesels are the choice in this case. The price you mentioned makes me think you are thinking of a used diesel...

SO, my advice would be to stick with what you have and put the money towards gas for the trip. A used diesel can be very problematic. You have the up front costs and unknown costs should it break down in the middle of your trip. In addition, not knowing the boat, the above comments the inboards suitability for your boat my be significant. If ANYTHING happens to your OB during your trip, you can disconect it from you transom in seconds, lift it up yourself and carry it to a dealer (or the dumperster and get a new one for $2000).

Keep the outboard in the mid portion of its rpm range and you will be fine. Save the cash.
Old 03-09-2002

RichardElliott is on a distinguished road

Love the diesel! I''ve also owned both. Keep in mind that the normal aft placement of an outboard can be very dangerous in a steep chop near a lee shore. The prop will come out of the water, losing all headway.