Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-29-2007

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
Post Cabin Lighting

All the overhead lighting in my galley ( 2 ) and in the main cabin ( 1 ) are AC powered lights. in fact, all 3 lights plug into AC outlets for there power. They are not hard wired.

I will be leaving for good for whatever time I have left for the Caribbean and points south. I don't really plan on living in marina's but rather on the hook. So I need DC powered lighting.

So I am looking for recommendations for fixtures and what kind of lights to use.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-29-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Freesail,

THis really is quite a personal opinion. Take the comments (all of them) as such. As a previous (and soon to be again) liveaboard/cruiser, here goes:

LCD is fine for night lights. In fact, I think it is the only way to go for night lighting (red running lights). Outside of that, no thanks. The halogen is a lot "warmer" and gives a better light. Unfortunately, it also draws more power.

I will tell you that we also use regular old lamps. They have a nice spot on our boat where they can plug in. We do have an inverter and can power them off of that. The lamps are actually our preferred means of lighting the boat - believe it or not. The light they give off is just not going to be matched by a 12v light.

We also hard wired in 25w lights that are bulkhead mounted (12v). They are the next best compromise to the lamps. THey draw a lot of power (proportionately), but they have a better light than halogens.

So, to answer your question, a combination of all of them is nice. You can pick and chose which lights you want to turn on based upon the power and needs.

- CD

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 06-29-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Free...I'm no expert on lighting but I can tell you that I installed a gooseneck light in the galley and it is the one my wife likes best as she can easily spot it on whatever she is workin on.

Also put one of these under the counter over the ice box so we can see into it at night.

Hope that helps a bit.
Old 06-29-2007

kennya is on a distinguished road
In addition to DC lamps, I some times use a fully enclosed oil lamp. Especially out in the cockpit and just want a soft light.
Old 06-29-2007

I think the gooseneck light is a very good idea. I had looked at one for the navagation station. The light in my main cabin looks like it was designed by someone who had just returned from Egypt and loved lincoln logs, lol.
Old 06-29-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Cam,

That light looks like the alien space ships form the War of the Worlds. Remember that?? THe old one (I think it was Black and White).
I am just waiting for the little green guy to come out.

- CD

PS You will never look at that light the same now!!! (smile)

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 06-29-2007

The light ( space ship ) from war of the worlds looked my desk lamp when I was in grade school.
Old 06-29-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Freesail,

I HAD ONE OF THOSE TOO!! HAHA!

- CD

PS Like I said, you will never look at that light the same again! I bet after Cam reads this he will not enter the cabin without a light on now, flare gun in hand!!

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 06-29-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
It depends on what you're using the lights for as well.

To light up large areas, 12 VDC CCF fixtures are pretty good and use relatively low power.

For nighttime and courtesy lighting, the LEDs are excellent, and really low power.

For reading lamps, it is hard to beat a halogen lamp, but they are a bit more power intensive.... I personally like these guys for reading lamps.

They now have an LED version, which is fairly similar, but at three times the price. However, for reading, I prefer the warmer halogen version.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 06-29-2007 at 06:14 PM.
Old 06-29-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Freesail...one morning I woke up and found these under that light.
do you think they are PODS??? (G)