Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 07-01-2007

hall is on a distinguished road
good batteries dead system

Saling yesterday on my 1986 Pearson 28-2 when radio and all electronics went out. I trided to start engine and not even a crank. Checked batteries and connections, nothing loose and they had a full charge. Sailed back to marina. Any ideas as to wha happen?
Thanks
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-01-2007
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
My first thought would be a ground fault.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-01-2007

sailorjim99 is an unknown quantity at this point
Do you have a main or master fuse that connects to your batteries BUT before any power goes to any item?

This happened to my, dare I say it,car, and it took me a long time to sort that out.

Everything just died.

Jim
Old 07-01-2007

I33 is on a distinguished road
Check batteries first!

This is just me--others may have equally good methods.
1. Measure the specific gravity of your battery electrolyte. This will reveal if you have a dead cell.
2. Using your portable Volt-Ohmmeter, measure the voltage at each point along the circuit. This should reveal a bad connection. First keep the negative lead of the meter on the negative battery post while checking points along the positive path. Then reverse this and keep the positive lead on the positive post, working the negative lead down it's path. Hope this helps!
Old 07-01-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
If you have wet cell batteries, it is probably a very good idea to check each cell's specific gravity, using a hydrometer. You can get one for a few bucks down at any auto parts store.

If the batteries are fine, and are holding voltage... then I would look at a ground problem. One problem that is common on older boats, is that the PO used welding cable, instead of marine battery cable for some of the connections. Welding cable tends to corrode internally, get rather stiff and then break from fatigue. The combination of a break in the wire and the corrosion is often enough to break the circuit for any significant loads. This is also a serious fire hazard... so I'd check all the major battery cables, on both the hot and ground sides.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.