Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 07-02-2007

RickLaPaz is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlue
ZZRick - you have just been priviledged with a coveted invitation to join Giu's album of SailNet friends.

I'm so jealous.
I'm so scared.

Is he normal? Or fighting extradition?........
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-02-2007
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
Alex is actually a very accomplished sailor . . . on vacation (on holiday to the Euros) for the summer. He's just bored. Make his day by posting your best sailing portrait.
Old 07-02-2007

RickLaPaz is on a distinguished road
Well, here's one at pre-op. But warn him that I'm now a size 3 smokin' hot redhead with 36 c's and Gable legs. I'm a Libra, I like long walks on the beach and shetland poni.................

Allright, here goes. Here I am doing the Baja 1000 last year....

..and on the hook in Cabo. That's all he gets for now. Anything other requests needs to go through the warden first..............

Old 07-02-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Dear Rick.....

I see....the Portuguese Secret Police already sent your file to me....

Clear as crystal!!!

By the way...the file was written in: PORTUGUESE.....the language of Portugal, Brasilian does not exist, (well yes a brasilian is citizen from Brasil), they speak PORTUGUESE in Brasil, not the other way around!!!

Brasil was a colony of Portugal, justy like America was a colony of Britain...

And you don't speak Americaian, do you???
Old 07-02-2007

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickLaPaz

Well, your linguistic knowledge is a little loose, but that is one sweet ketch. It's nice to see a mizzen mast that is actually tall enough to do some sailing, as opposed to being a radar/TV/satellite/GPS/disco ball pole with a thyroid condition.
Old 07-02-2007

soul searcher is on a distinguished road
I think it is a little more advantagous on a cutter rigged boat where the main is smaller. We have in mast on our boat and I have had problems with it but it was more from lack of maitanance on the P.O.'s part and my part that caused it. I dont know the answer but from where I sit I don't need a bigger main. yes I may give up some light air and down wind speed. but nothing that cant be overcome with my cruising chute. with a bigger main I would be reefing earlier and with slab reefing probably deeper than I wanted to I don't think any sail will hold up as long reefed. Head sails or mains. If I got to pick differently I would choose a conventional main. but not because I think the in mast is evil, Its not. I can reef to hull speed and control weather helm on our bot with just the main up to twenty knots with a 135 in calm seas. 20 knots and over evey thing is comming in some. from my point of veiw with the mast further aft and a mast head rig the boat sails more by the genoa and staysail than by the main. Maybe I'm wrong. It just sems better on our boat to move the sail plan forward more than down.
Just my opinion.

All boats are sinking it's just a matter of how fast.
Old 07-03-2007

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Quote: "Jeff if I were racing I would consider 21 secs a huge loss, but in real terms for the daysailor or cruising sailor it works out to be less than half a mile in an hour at 6 knots versus not putting the sail up at all. Like main sail furling or not surely you must agree that getting people to sail their sailboats is more important than PHRF.
What manufacturers are not offering in mast furling? For me that would be a deal breaker."

As a coastal cruiser 21 seconds a mile is huge. It means 5-10 miles a less range per day, it means motoring a larger percentage of the time, it means fewer sailing days, it can mean getting into a safe harbor or getting pounded while underway. For a distance cruiser it can mean days (or weeks at sea) at sea and carrying more supplies further slowing the vessel down or having to make shorter hops with the lost time problems of checking into more ports.

Two boat shows back Hunter, Bavaria, and Beneteau offered in-mast furling standard on their smaller boats, but by last years show they seem to have gone back to conventional mainsails with slab reefing, and lazyjack/integral sail cover systems.

One last point with in mast furling, once the sail has been partially furled you cannot adjust luff tension. In heavy conditions that lack of luff tension means higher heel angles, poorer pointing ability (more tacks) and more frequent knock downs since you have fuller sails and are further off of the wind.

Jeff
Old 07-03-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Jeff,

You have been in the marine industry longer than I have, but I think I can probably say: Furling Main is here to stay, for good or for bad.

My guess is that Hunter and the others went back to a standard traditional rig only because it would lower the cost of boats in a market where oil (and thus, boat prices) have gotten rediculous.

Just my opinions. I have no facts to back it up.

- CD

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 07-03-2007

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
The Hunter sales people told me it was reliability vs benefit. Beneteau sales people said it was price point on these smaller boats, but allowed that part of the cost was that they did not like the call backs on the smaller systems for items they considered to be inherent problems with the system.

I think that we might argue that we will see more electric motor driven winches but I my sense is that in-mast furling will have limited lifespan. When in-mast furling came out, I did not hear cruisers refering to it as a deal buster offshore. In recent years I have encountered quite a few experienced sailors who have had crisis level high winds speed jambs who see them as 'deal busters' including a discussion with experienced offshore delivery skippers who each said that will not make offshore deliveries on boats with in-mast furling due to bad personal experiences.

Respectfully,
Jeff
Old 07-03-2007
Splashed

JomsViking is on a distinguished road
To me it's a solution to a problem that does not exist. Taking the main down is just as easy (if not easier) with lazy-jacks and a fully battened main than with any kind of furling gear, be it in-mast or in-boom, at least IMnsHO. Also slab-reefing is a simple scheme that always works, and maintains sail-shape.
Jeff's comments makes perfect sense to me, and I believe that we will see a lot of people changing back to the traditional main (and smaller boats w/o motorized winches )
Just my .02$