Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 07-02-2007

skindiver4605 is on a distinguished road
Wink Awning Plans

I am looking for plans to be able to sew our own awning for our CAL 2-27. My wife and I are handy with a sewing machine and we would rather sew our own, than buy a manufactured one. The problem is after much searching on the good old WWW, we cannot find any plans or rough diagrams to extrapolate from. Does anyone have a website where you can find plans for awnings?

Cheers,

Dan
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-02-2007

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
Have you looked HERE ?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-02-2007

Yes this was the first place I looked. Of course now that I have posted this someone will pull a link up and make me look like the south end of north bound horse. LOL!

Dan
Old 07-02-2007

Dan, When you say awning, do you mean a Bimini or a dodger ?

Paul
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-02-2007

A sun awning that you put up in port or at achorage. The ones I have seen hank onto the main halayard and go over the boom and provides shade for the cockpit and cabin.

Dan
Old 07-02-2007

I think this is what your looking for. I know of no kits or patterns. Look Here.
Old 07-02-2007

Very similar to what I am looking for but I'm a do-it-yourself type and I know we could build it if we just has a set of plans. thanks,
Dan
Old 07-02-2007
Whampoa

There are a number of books available for do it your selfers who want to get involved in canvas projects. Sailrite sells one on their site called "The Complete Canvasworker's Guide" Second Edition by Jim Grant and it has a section on Awnings and enclosures that might provide what you are looking for. Hard for me to know for sure as all do it your selfers have different skills and needs when it come to plans.

Don Casey published another book , "Canvaswork and Sail Repair" that might also be useful.

We are about to get involved in making our own canvas awnings and covers as well this summer.

Good luck with your project.

John

Last edited by Whampoa; 07-02-2007 at 06:44 PM.
Old 07-02-2007

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
I have 11x8' piece of Forest green sunbrella with eyes at each corner and mid span, drapes over the boom and then ties to the stanchions with green bungees, during the winter we use the full size, in the summer we fold it in half, for us, it's the perfect boom tent

Freedom comes when youíre ready to sail away. True freedom comes when you donít have to return

Cut off from the land that bore us, betrayed by the land we find, where the brightest have gone before us and the dullest remain behind, .......but stand to your glasses, steady,.......tis all we have left to prize, raise a cup to the dead already, hurrah for the next that dies
Old 07-02-2007
Here .. Pull this

Sailormann will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Very similar to what I am looking for but I'm a do-it-yourself type and I know we could build it if we just has a set of plans. thanks,
Dan
To make the "Shadetree" awning all you need to do is get some go to a camping supply store and get some replacement carbon-fiber tent poles. Then take a rectangle of fabric and sew a few channels in it, figure out a way of attaching the tent poles to your stanchions and you're off to the races. Or maybe it might be better to wait until the race is finished to put it up ....