Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 07-03-2007
Semper Gumby

GySgt is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to GySgt
CAr PC

[QUOTE=wind_magic]Here are some of the things I want in my next nav station.

7) Inside I'd like one of those ultra low power micro-atx board computers that doesn't need a fan, the kind that the kids are putting into their automobiles now, running linux on a solid state drive. Want that hooked to the KVM.

QUOTE]

G-NET Car PC - Vehicle Mount Computers - Vehicle PC - Nav TV Video Modules For OEM GPS Navigation Systems is a good place to startlooking for mobile "car" PCs. Being a geek and all
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-03-2007

BarryL is on a distinguished road
My Nav Station

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithril
Cupholder... ok, but back to the subject at hand...

What do you have (Electronics, Controls, Instruments, etc) at your Nav Station camaraderie, Barry Lenoble (BarryL), Kathleen (SchoonerMISTRESS), or hellosailor? Or what would you have there if you could?
Hello,

My boat is a 1986 O'day 35. I am the 4th owner. The second owner was a husband and wife who lived in the Boston area. They sailed down to the caribbean and lived aboard for 2 years. They returned and sold the boat to a couple who owned her for 7 years or so until I bought her.

When I bought the boat it had a LORAN system mounted on a swing out arm that could be visible from the cockpit of the nav station, and a VHF radio usable from the nav station (but not visible from there).

I removed the LORAN (it was not operational) and installed a Lowrance GPS chartplotter / SONAR unit, and I also installed a DSC VHF. The GPS and VHF are connected via NMEA and the VHF will display speed, course, and LAT / LONG.

The nav station on the O'day is good sized. The seat is the end of the quarter berth. There is a large table top that flips up. I keep charts and other goodies in there. I have dividers, parallel lines, and other assorted things there. Besides the VHF there are no electronics.

This past week we spent on the boat for vacation. We sailed from Mt. Sinai NY to Montauk Point NY (about 55 nm), from Montauk to Greenport, and from Greenport home. During parts of the trip I had a laptop at the nav station open and running Seaclear.

To be honest, when we were underway I never did anything at the nav station. I was in the cockpit the majority of the time. On the trip home (which took 10 hours) my wife took over for an hour, so I went below and rested. When we were in port I did plan one trip at the nav station, otherwise I never used it.

Barry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook