Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 07-04-2007

TomKeffer is on a distinguished road
Bill Trayfors posted a very interesting article on the SSCA bulletin board about cheaper Ham alternatives, although most of these will not have DSC capability and automatic tuning. Nor, of course, will they support the SSB marine bands. See SSCA Discussion Board :: View topic - SERIOUS HAM SSB SETUP ON THE CHEAP

I see right now there's an ICOM IC-718 for sale on eBay. Present price is $335. See eBay: ICOM IC - 718 HF All Band Transceiver Ham Radio (item 120137098813 end time Jul-05-07 17:37:50 PDT).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-04-2011

SunnysideSailing is on a distinguished road
SEA Radio in Seattle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickLaPaz View Post
I'm not yet schooled in SSB 101 yet, but I read a brochure last year from a company in Washington State that builds there own radios in this country. Can't remember the name, but according to a ham store owner in Burbank, they were top quality units, with the associated prices reflecting that. Might be worth a search on a Ham B/Board to find the company....
Was that Sea Radio. I use to have a Sea 222 and it was a good radio. A bit bulky, but it worked OK. I considered their radios, but liked the design of the IC-M802 better. I had work done at SEA on my 222 also. It is a small shop, but technically very good.
Old 02-04-2011

sck5 is on a distinguished road
If you get an 802 be sure to get Marti Brown's Icom 802 Manual for IdiYachts
Old 02-04-2011

ICOM IC - M802 Maunual

Quote:
Originally Posted by sck5 View Post
If you get an 802 be sure to get Marti Brown's Icom 802 Manual for IdiYachts
Actually I have had my IC-M802 for 5+ years now and it is a great radio. The manual is very poor. As a result I have been helping/training other cruisers in every port as to how to operate the 802, 710, and even the minimal capable 700Pro.

Since I had good background in writing procedures, Cruising, Marine radios, and have been working with communications equipment since 1966 I re-wrote the manual. (General Class FCC License and a Ham Extra)

My manual, "Icom IC – M802 Made Simple for Cruisers" will be available at Amazon toward the end of the month.

It is easy as an Electrical Engineer to assume a lot of knowledge by the user. I taught electronics for a couple of years. My students beat me into submission as to how to and not to write procedures for non engineers.

My goal for the manual was to not skip over steps and provide a manual simple enough that even my wife could follow. (She is confused by cell phone operation.) I have one more walk through the procedures and it will be finalized.

One of the other cruisers here in La Paz (One of the cruisers that has helped me test DSC functions) tells me he has a copy of the manual you referenced and he is not impressed. He will be helping me with the final review of mine, so I hope he will like my manual.

Terry
Old 02-04-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomKeffer View Post
Bill Trayfors posted a very interesting article on the SSCA bulletin board about cheaper Ham alternatives, although most of these will not have DSC capability and automatic tuning. Nor, of course, will they support the SSB marine bands. See SSCA Discussion Board :: View topic - SERIOUS HAM SSB SETUP ON THE CHEAP

I see right now there's an ICOM IC-718 for sale on eBay. Present price is $335. See eBay: ICOM IC - 718 HF All Band Transceiver Ham Radio (item 120137098813 end time Jul-05-07 17:37:50 PDT).
Bill,
I have had to help a lot of cruisers that bought Ham radios instead of Marine radios with Ham capability. From my experience, if a cruiser is a good technically skilled Ham it works OK, not great but OK. If they just memorized the test and got a general class license, they may have trouble with even a marine radio, but the Ham radio will end up sitting off.

For most cruisers starting out, they need something they can use without to many buttons. I do like the IC-M802, even though it is more powerful than a new cruiser needs. If they start going to DSC Watch after nets and leave the radio on, it would could really promote the use of HF SSB in the community.

Regards
Terry

Last edited by SunnysideSailing; 03-02-2011 at 09:53 AM.
Old 03-02-2011

[EDIT: Please, no commercial advertising in the forums.]

Last edited by JohnRPollard; 03-03-2011 at 07:57 AM. Reason: Noted above

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.