Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 07-03-2007

Mithril is on a distinguished road
Is ICOM M802 the only choice?

If I am looking for a marine SSB tranciever with Ham, VFO, and Pactor Modem capability; an automatic tuner and DSC, is the ICOM M802 the only choice? Or is it just what everyone uses? Is there another unit I should be looking at?

Thanks..
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-03-2007
Alabama Member

islandzephyr is on a distinguished road
The IC-M802 is the only one I know of that does what the 802 does (although it doesn't rx or tx in the 2m band but I wouldn't really expect it to), but I am relatively new to ham and haven't really checked out the 802's competition all that much.

I did notice this on ICOM's website about the 802, so you might want to make sure you get one that has the mod done already. It is certainly on my short list and I have seen the backstay setup and, done correctly, it looks great.

Scott

"IC-M802 Technical Notice
For a while now, we have received isolated reports of audio “clipping” during transmit regarding the M802. The exact symptom is when the operator speaks, on certain voice patterns, the receiving party may hear part of the word being cut out and then the transmission quickly comes back. The operator may hear a few more words and then the symptom would repeat.

After considerable research into this issue, Icom has identified that this occurs when the radio’s antenna system is generating an SWR of 1.6 or more.

Proper installation and maintenance of an antenna system may help reduce your SWR and if you have any questions about your antenna system, please consult a qualified marine electronics dealer.

But there are antenna situations where the SWR may be higher than 1.6 (depending on a number of factors).

Icom has discovered an improvement that will make sure the radio will not “clip”, no matter the SWR.

If you would like to have this improvement installed in your equipment contact Icom’s service department [service@icomamerica.com] or 425-454-7619 for further information. Please be aware that this modification will help with the “clipping” issue only. If you have other issues, again, please consult a qualified marine electronics dealer. Please note that this improvement will be in all future M802’s from Icom."
Old 07-03-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
We loved our 802/pactor and it was a real nice step up from the M710 we had on a previous boat. We had no issues with clipping but these have been widely reported. There is an extensive discussion over on Welcome to the Seven Seas Cruising Association that you can search on and lots of good radio/antenna advice over there that may help you in your decision making.
Old 07-03-2007

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
From all the research I've done, it's the best choice. I am hoping that they will sink a bit in price before we go sailing long-term in '09.
Old 07-03-2007

Mithril is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the input...
Old 07-03-2007

RickLaPaz is on a distinguished road
I'm not yet schooled in SSB 101 yet, but I read a brochure last year from a company in Washington State that builds there own radios in this country. Can't remember the name, but according to a ham store owner in Burbank, they were top quality units, with the associated prices reflecting that. Might be worth a search on a Ham B/Board to find the company....
Old 07-03-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
From everything I've seen, Icom's IC-M802 is really the best and most versatile unit of all the ones out there. When I make the leap to SSB, it is what I'll be getting, unless Icom has replaced it with something better. IIRC, it is also capable of using the Ham frequencies, if you have a Ham license.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-04-2007

geste is on a distinguished road
SSB rigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickLaPaz
I'm not yet schooled in SSB 101 yet, but I read a brochure last year from a company in Washington State that builds there own radios in this country. Can't remember the name, but according to a ham store owner in Burbank, they were top quality units, with the associated prices reflecting that. Might be worth a search on a Ham B/Board to find the company....
I am going to guess you mean SGC and the 2000:

SG-2000 PowerTalk ADSP2 Transceiver

Jim
Old 07-04-2007

RickLaPaz is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by geste
I am going to guess you mean SGC and the 2000:

SG-2000 PowerTalk ADSP2 Transceiver

Jim
Bingo, good catch Geste. Don't know a thing about them vs ICOM, but they may be an option. Or not. I heard good things about Yaesu also, but not sure about longevity in a marine enviro.

Research, research, resea............
Old 07-04-2007

geste is on a distinguished road
Ssb

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickLaPaz
Bingo, good catch Geste. Don't know a thing about them vs ICOM, but they may be an option. Or not. I heard good things about Yaesu also, but not sure about longevity in a marine enviro.
I have a Yaesu FT-857D and it is quite a package, but the menuing system and interface are a bit complex. Also, while it will do SSB, it isn't type certified, I don't think, for marine SSB.

Quote:
Research, research, resea............
Save money, save money, save money!