SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Bummer... Hate equipment failures (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/34364-bummer-hate-equipment-failures.html)

labatt 07-03-2007 05:45 PM

Bummer... Hate equipment failures

When we were in Annapolis our rigger warned us that the torque tube on our furler had a broken weld and could fail. It's a Harken Mark I furler, circa 1984. Three weeks ago I called Harken to see about a replacement and they needed a part number off the drum. I got it to them last week, and it turned out they sold the LAST torque tube made the week before!

So we're out on vacation this week cruising around Lake Champlain. It's blowing 15+ yesterday. We went to reef the genny when it went over 15 and snap... there goes the last weld and our furler (the torque tube holds the extrusion, which holds the sail, in place, so without it you can't furl the sail). We dropped the genny and lashed it to the foredeck and headed in.

We've never done any rigging on Champlain so I don't know anyone. I looked on the Harken website for authorized dealers and found one based at our next stop - Plattsburgh NY. I got permission from the wife to order a new Harken Mk IV furler and it's being overnighted for a Thursday install, along with a new forestay. Hopefully the guy is good! He said he was booked but he'd squeeze us in for the full day install. And then we'll continue our vacation without missing a beat! (unless the furler doesn't get there on Thursday or we're missing a part).

I'm trying to figure out whether this is a bad or a good thing :)

Maine Sail 07-03-2007 06:04 PM

I just installed a MKIV..

and it took me about 3 hours as a DIY. I had a rigger swage the top fitting onto a new wire and I installed a Noresman at the bottom after I built the furler. It's nice that the new MK IV fits over a turnbuckle..

labatt 07-04-2007 07:27 PM

I'm having a rigger take care of it for me... it's a "rush job" so we can finish out our vacation with a furlable sail. Today it was blowing 25-30 on Champlain.

southerncross31 07-04-2007 08:03 PM

Sailing on the lake can be lots of fun. Gusts come out of the mountains and just fall down onto the lake. I've seen it go from dead calm to 20knts in 1-2 minutes. I have a boat at the Charlotte sailing center but i've been so busy working on my SC31 that i haven't made it up in a while. How long are you guys crusing there for?

labatt 07-05-2007 07:57 AM

We're keeping our boat at Willsboro for the season. We're up this week (bad weather - lots of rain), every weekend through August, another full week in August, and then weekends. Next year we'll be out of the Mystic area.

southerncross31 07-05-2007 09:46 PM

That's great! It really is a nice place to sail. My boat up there is for sale but i am contemplating bringing my sc31 up for the winter. My annual fees up there are 1/4 what they are on the cape. It's not the best boat to tack back and forth up the lake though. I snowboard at Stowe quite often in the winter and figured if i got a cabin heater i could stay on the boat. A previous owner of the Charlotte sailing center has a cradle made just for the SC too!