Here .. Pull this

Sailormann will become famous soon enough
Anyone used one of these ???

Opinions - experiences ???

BowCatcher by NBM Designs - Docking Made Easy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-04-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I know several boaters that have done something similar with lines at their slips... but I don't think even a power boater would be caught dead using one of those things...

Not so useful for a lot of boaters I know, like me, since we dock stern to, rather than bow in.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-04-2007
Here .. Pull this

Need to figure something out as the slip we are in is very tight - about 2 feet between us and the neighbour, the wind is always blowing us in his direction and when we reverse our stern swings right towards his boat... Stern to is not an option unfortunately...

Quote:
but I don't think even a power boater would be caught dead using one of those things...
...not too concerned about what people think, they know that we can sail...
Old 07-04-2007

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailormann
The owner of the Cat 27 we were looking at had a line rigged that acted in a similar manner. It ran from a cleat on one pier, over to a cleat on the pier on the other side, then there was a line from a cleat on the dock's bulkhead that ran to the center, which pulled the line running across into a bit of a vee. He had a goodly portion of the line that ran across covered with garden hose (looked like). I plan to rig something similar in my dock.

Jim
Old 07-04-2007
Hitchin' a ride

bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough
Do you have a dock pole between the two sterns?

Vaya con Dios
Old 07-04-2007

cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough
The owner of the Cat 27 we were looking at had a line rigged that acted in a similar manner. It ran from a cleat on one pier, over to a cleat on the pier on the other side, then there was a line from a cleat on the dock's bulkhead that ran to the center, which pulled the line running across into a bit of a vee. He had a goodly portion of the line that ran across covered with garden hose (looked like). I plan to rig something similar in my dock.

many people do that here, with the addition of a fender that "bumpers" the bow. Run a piece of rope thru both ends of the fender so it doesn't rip in half.

Some people are like slinkies: not really good for anything... but you can't help laughing when you push them down the stairs
Old 07-04-2007

RickLaPaz is on a distinguished road
One of my old neighbors designed something very similar for his heavy 50 footer. He used two half inch lines that formed a sharp angled X at the end of the dock. The cross-over point was 4 feet away from the dock, over the water in the centerline of the slip. All he needed to do was to get the bow in at least half way and within 20 degrees or so and punch the throttle a bit. The soft lines were somewhat taut but still springy and it was like pouring water into a funnel. No damage to the boat and it didn't look like something out of Boaters World. Rather innocous looking. And rather clever.......

RIck

Just wanted to add, for those that still think this might be cheating and/or cheesy, that the boat owner had spent 3 years circum-ing with his wife and kids. He figured the $7K they didn't spend on a thruster paid for an extra 5 months cruising. I admired his logic...........

Last edited by RickLaPaz; 07-04-2007 at 11:21 AM.
Old 07-05-2007
Here .. Pull this

Quote:
Do you have a dock pole between the two sterns?
No - there's a central dock and then there are our slips that run 90 degrees to the dock. Nothing between the boats. I'm to windward of a very wide, new, gleaming powerboat with a fastidious owner. Haven't hit him yet but if I'm singlehanding and the wind is up it's not inconceivable that my fenders might rub against his highly polished hull... Apart from anything else it's bad manners to scuff up another man's pride and joy.

Thought this thing looked like an option. The problem is that when I put the boat into reverse in order to avoid banging in to the dock, the stern hightails it off to starboard something wicked, so it's a mad scramble to get a line out onto the stern bollard while holding the wheel and goosing the throttle/gearshift...

Considered growing another arm, but then where would I buy shirts ???
Old 07-05-2007
Here .. Pull this

Quote:
Just wanted to add, for those that still think this might be cheating and/or cheesy,
I think it's stupid to try to pretend that you're such an excellent seaman that you can negate the forces of wind and water, it certainly ranks lower on the "cheating" scale than an autopilot..
Old 07-05-2007
Hitchin' a ride

bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough
I am in the exact same predicament right now. In fact, if you remember a while back at another marina, I hit the guy next to me and it cost me 1200 bucks. Same situation, windward, no dock in between, but now I have a dock pole where the old finger used to be, long since rotted away. I watched countless boats today come in and out of their slips, all over the place, the wind wrecking havoc on them. Same problem, you get the bow in, hit reverse and the stern swings out. With two people its an easy fix. Have the other person jump off the bow, hold the bow on the cleat, don't pull the bow! very important not to pull or it will kick the stern out. Make sure they know that they are not stopping the boat, you are doing that with reverse, they are just guiding it. Then tell them to take a turn on the cleat. When they are doing that, you should be going in reverse with the wheel turned all the way to port. This will suck the stern up against the finger. Then either you can step off and tie the stern, or the bowman can come back and take the line. On windward, you have to come in fast enough to counter the wind, but not so fast that you will lose control when you try to reverse. You may know all this already, so I apologize if I am overstating. Even though I know how to do it, I can't always make it happen. When its blowing 15 to 20 at the dock, sometimes you just look like a rookie no matter what you do. If you had a pole in between you could tie a line to the dock from the pole to keep you away. That is my next project, also to add dock cleats. This marina is so damn old they don't have cleats. You think you got it hard! Also, try coming in going upwind. you can go a little slower that way and the momentum of the boat will push the stern into the dock. Get a couple of those big round orange fenders for starboard too.

Vaya con Dios

Last edited by bestfriend; 07-05-2007 at 04:07 AM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.