Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 07-05-2007

sailhog has a spectacular aura about sailhog has a spectacular aura about
She spent her adolescent years in Philadelphia, so I'm assuming she was hauled. She then came down to Charleston she's been in the water year-round. I believe she's been in the south, where the water is currently blood-warm, for a minimum of eight years. In early 2005 she was blister-free, save one 3-inch diameter blister on her rudder...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-05-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Sounds good... I think you'll be okay until you haul her the next time. In any case, have fun sailing... I'm doing the whole barrier coat routine since I had the boat sodablasted anyways, and had it down to the gelcoat... didn't see any point in not barrier coating at this point.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-05-2007

Sailingdog,
Thanks for taking the time... I can think of a untold ways to spend money on that boat. Sounds like you're poised to have a fun summer... Good luck to you, captain.

Cam,
Thanks for the reply. I have lust in my heart for an O'Day 37 CC in the area... I'm thinking about leaving my wife and kids and moving aboard with Phyllis. We both have the same taste in movies. I know what you're thinking: Sounds like a match made in heaven!
Old 07-05-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Hawg...we sailed the Oday32CC with 3 kids for many years...same boat as the 37 but with a tighter rear stateroom. Lots of fun...lust away!!
Old 07-09-2007
CatSailor from Oz

alanl is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to alanl
Not wishing to hijack this thread either but there are articles and forum questions/comments on handymariner - Australian source of boat repair & maintenance information - selection, materials, techniques that give some good general advice to somone new to the task of readying for a slipway painting job. There is also a link on the site to Norglass - one of this country's most respected suppliers of marine coatings (Les is an authority on the subject). It carefully explains the differences between hard and soft coatings, compatibility and related subjects.
Old 07-09-2007
Re Member

knotaloud is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailhog
So my 27-year-old boat is going to have to live with two coats of ablative for the time being ($1,400). .
Come on man, do it yourself. I just read your profile, you're only 41, that's not too old for a little hard work. Save yourself $1000 and get some exercise at the same time. And you call yourself a sailor.
Old 07-09-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by knotaloud
Come on man, do it yourself. I just read your profile, you're only 41, that's not too old for a little hard work. Save yourself $1000 and get some exercise at the same time. And you call yourself a sailor.
Not said quite as tactfully as I had put it... But very true... I'm not much younger than Sailhog, and have been putting in a fair amount of sweat equity into my dear boat.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 07-09-2007
Re Member

knotaloud is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog
Not said quite as tactfully as I had put it... But very true... I'm not much younger than Sailhog, and have been putting in a fair amount of sweat equity into my dear boat.

I guess that was a little harsh, but to me, earning that sweat equity is almost as fun as sailing, maybe more...
Old 07-09-2007

Sailingdog, Knotaloud,
If I can find a yard around here that will let me do it myself, I will. On a related note, my name is SailHOG, not SailSTUD. Thanks for the response, though. I definitely appreciate the sentiment.
Old 07-09-2007
Telstar 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by knotaloud
I guess that was a little harsh, but to me, earning that sweat equity is almost as fun as sailing, maybe more...
You have a warped and twisted sense of what is fun... When you get to be our age... you'll understand that sanding and scraping bottom paint is not fun... necessary, but not fun.

Sailhog-

That would be hog as in lazy pig?? J/K.

Finding yards that will let you do your own work is getting harder every year. I'm fortunate that the marina I'm in lets me run amok and do all my own work... they even let me tie up most of the front yard with my boat for almost two weeks... since the boat was up on stands and with the amas out... 24' wide and 35' long... that's a big chunk of yard space I had been hogging...

Telstar 28
New England

Last edited by sailingdog; 07-09-2007 at 09:51 AM.