Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 07-09-2007

sailhog has a spectacular aura about sailhog has a spectacular aura about
Sailingdog,
How long did it take you to prep your hulls? Sounds like you've got some very accomodating folks there at the yard...

I'm not so lazy as I am plain flabby... my hooves are swollen from not getting enough exercise, and my curly tail is as thick as keilbassa. Sitting at the desk, day in and day out, is really painful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-09-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Sailhog-

The guys at my marina rock... very helpful and very accommodating to the slip tenants.. Prepping wasn't too bad, since I had the hulls sodablasted, and that did the majority of the prep work.

Since then, I have gone back and repaired a few dings, scratches and voids that I found. I've also done some fiberglass work as well. Now, I've just got two more places to fiberglass, weather permitting, and then this week I hope to barrier coat and paint. I've got one crew member volunteering to help over the weekend, and I hope to have everything prepped by Thursday.

I also just finished putting the anti-skid paint on the new bridgedeck I glassed in earlier this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailhog
Sailingdog,
How long did it take you to prep your hulls? Sounds like you've got some very accomodating folks there at the yard...

I'm not so lazy as I am plain flabby... my hooves are swollen from not getting enough exercise, and my curly tail is as thick as keilbassa. Sitting at the desk, day in and day out, is really painful.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-09-2007
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
I decided 4 seasons ago, after buying my current boat, that someone else was going to strip years of paint off the hull and apply a barrier coat. Even though I'm self-employed and can take any amount of time off, my weekends are still priceless.

What many boat owners in similar situations as me, don't factor into the DIY or hire a Pro equation, is the income lost by DIY. It would have been more expensive for me to spend 40 hours of lost wages doing this work than to hire it out.
Old 07-09-2007

TB,
I'm self employed as well and face the same dilemma. I'm also wary of screwing it up, as this will be my first experience in getting the bottom painted. That Nauticat of yours would seem to have a lot of bottom to paint for a 33 foot boat. You've got to have a couple of acres of hull under you...
Old 07-09-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
As I too am self-employed for the most part, I did take into account the money I could make versus what it would cost me to have it done by a yard. That's why I had the boat sodablasted. Sanding or stripping the old paint off wasn't economical IMHO.

However, doing the rest of the work, while it might have been better to farm it out, was something I wanted to do myself. I plan on taking my boat to places where boatyards are a bit scarce and I wanted to make sure that the bottom was prepped properly. The work I've done during the prepping of the boat for the barrier coating and bottom painting has been stuff that wasn't technically necessary but I wanted to do it. I added some glass to the area around the centerboard trunk to beef it up—was it necessary, probably not... will it give me some peace of mind that I've done it...definitely.

I've re-built or modified almost every system on this boat, and if I have a problem out at sea... I am probably the best-qualified person to fix it—since a lot of the stuff was my handiwork to begin with.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-09-2007
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
You're right - for a 33, there's a lot of underwater area displacing an 18,000 lb boat. That was the main reason for hiring the job out. Other factors for this decision included additional post survey money, which was obtained through a selling price renegotiation with the sellers, and my desire to have the best possible professional job done. In theory, this will increase resale values as well.

Here're some pre-suvey photos showing the nasty job ahead:

The following shot is from of the yard's paint shop, where the bottom was stripped with Peel-Away III, hull was ground, faired and then Interprotect 3000 was sprayed on. This was all done over the course of the winter after a November purchase, in a heated shed with a radiant heated slab.

I applied the final bottom paint coats after she was hauled back outside in early Spring - ready for launching.

Old 07-09-2007

TB,
Unbelievable... Looks like a lot of work and a lot of money. But it looks fantastic... I have to say that I absolutely love the Nauticat. Nice job...
Old 07-09-2007

christyleigh is on a distinguished road
Sailhog... you can't fool me - I met you - your younger and in good shape. Blisters may or may not come. I took 2 vaca days last October to do a short haul, light sand with a random orbital hooked up to a vacuum, slept on the boat, and put on one coat of ablative. Yup, my arms hurt like hell.... but not $1,000.00 worth of hell - Do It
Wickford/Narragansett Bay RI
Old 07-09-2007

Hey Stan,
Good to hear from you, and thanks for the advice. The problem is finding a yard that will let me do it myself. If I can find one, I definitely will. One question for you: Did you have to wear a suit during your prep work, or was the orbital with the vacuum sufficient?
Old 07-09-2007

RAGTIMEDON is on a distinguished road
Another thing to factor in to the cost equation--- Ben Franklin said "A penny saved is a penny earned" but that was so long ago that they had virtually no taxes. Saving that thousand bucks is as good as earning 1600 in today's economy!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.