Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 07-05-2007

sailhog has a spectacular aura about sailhog has a spectacular aura about
My first haul-out...

I'm about to schedule my first bottom paint job next week, and I wanted to get the learned panel's input. I'd like to have a epoxy barrier coat put on, but I can't swing it at the moment ($2,250). So my 27-year-old boat is going to have to live with two coats of ablative for the time being ($1,400). Currently the hull is blister-free (I think she spent a few years out of the water), and it pains me not to do what's best for her longterm health. Anyway, comments on the virtues of a barrier coat on an older boat would be appreciated. The only other work I'm going to have done -- so far as I know at this writing -- is to have the packing gland repacked. The seacocks are all newish, the keel bolts new... What else should I be looking for? I'm a little anxious, as it's my first time at this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-05-2007

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
I just finished my bottom job. I removed 17 layers of bottom paint. The ground had at least 1/2 inch of blue, red and green chips and grains of paint, by the time I finished sanding.
I got down to the gelcoat. I then applied 3 layers of epoxy. Two of which were thicken. The total cost with paint, sandpaper, gloves, epoxy, est. was just under $550.00. I have still have the sore arms and body to deal with.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-05-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
You could barrier coat her yourself. The most difficult part of prepping a boat for bottom painting and barrier coating is the stripping, which I just completed. I went with sodablasting and have been making some repairs and fairing the hull. The barrier coat will cost me about $300 for the materials and supplies. Then I'll be using a hard-epoxy anti-fouling.

It either costs money, or time invested. I had quotes for doing the work and they were about $6000 for the whole deal—stripping, sanding, barrier-coating, bottom painting. However, doing it myself, I feel like it will be done better than if I had paid for it to be done.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-05-2007

7tiger7 is on a distinguished road
Hi - not to hi-jack the post, but I just bought a Catalina 27, which is still on the hard. I figure before I launch her, I'd give her a touch up on the bottom paint. The paint now looks very fresh, but there are some spots where it is cracking and chipping a bit - but there is no fouling.
Here's my question - can I just slap on one more quick coat of bottom paint, with out sanding the current coat? I am not sure what kind of paint it is now, but it feels chalky, and smudges onto my hand easily...
Thanks!
Phillip
Old 07-05-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Phil-

It sounds like you may have an ablative paint on your boat... but unless you know what it is, putting any antifouling over it is risky at best. So, the short answer is I seriously doubt it.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 07-05-2007

Sailingdog,
Thanks for the reply. One quick question for you, however. My concern is that it's a 27-year-old boat that has never, to my knowledge, had an epoxy barrier coat. Am I just waiting for a nasty blister problem to arise sometime down the road? I'm sure there are several layers of ablative that need to come off, so prepping it is going to be a good bit of expensive work...
Old 07-05-2007
Telstar 28

Sailhog-

Chances are very likely that if it hasn't had an osmosis problem yet, it may not get one. Many of the older boats, excepting those that used a fire-retardant resin, did not get osmosis problems and are not prone to them. Newer boats, from what I have seen, and those using the fire-retardant resins, seem to be a bit more prone to blistering and osmosis. Whether this is due to the thinner layup of the hulls or some change in the resin composition over the years, I don't know.

I had my hull soda blasted, and it was pretty reasonable in price, especially considering the amount of work getting the ablative paint off of THREE hulls would have been.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 07-05-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Hawg... ALL boats of that era are subject to blistering. Those that used the fire retardent resin are almost guaranteed to have them. If a boat is hauled and dried out each season it is less prone to blistering than if it is left in the water year round.
While I strongly recommend barrier coating a boat that will be in warm water year round...it has obviously made it this far without one and there is probably little chance of extensive blistering occurring within the next 12 months.
By not doing a barrier coat now your are risking a bigger job $$$ and a drying out period should you find blisters at your next haulout...but sometimes food on the table comes first! With any luck you'll be lusting after a C34 by the time she needs further bottom work!!
Old 07-05-2007

Sailingdog,
Thanks, captain... you're the best...
Old 07-05-2007
Telstar 28

My only question is, "has the boat been in the south most of its life?" If it has, then it is very likely that it was kept in the water year-round and that any blistering that would have occurred, would have done so by now.

Telstar 28
New England

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.