Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 07-05-2007

7tiger7 is on a distinguished road
Racor bleed question

Hi Everyone,

My new catalina 27 is on the hard, and has been sitting for about a year.

It has a Yanmar 2GM20, and the Racor filter looks to be all water... I plan to bleed the Racor of water, but am not sure if this would cause air bubbles to enter the fuel system, as I am just bleeding water out of the Racor from the bottom.

If it DOES run the risk of introducing air, can someone please tell me the step-by-step instructions on how to bleed a Yanmar 2GM20?

ALSO - the fuel tank is almost empty, and I am not sure if I will have enough fuel to get to the fuel dock once I am launched. I plan to buy a jerry can to keep spare fuel in - can I fill it with automobile diesel fuel, and fill (not fill, but put maybe 5 gallons) the diesel tank with automotive diesel to get me to the fuel dock? Or should I really only use marine diesel?
Thanks
Phillip
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-05-2007

RichH will become famous soon enough
If you are careful during the 'decanting' of the water from the bowl of the Racor ... by s-l-o-w bleeding of water, you probably wont get any air into the system. Id fill the tank with a few gallons of diesel (get it from a truckstop as its usually fresher/drier) so that the 'siphon' effect from the tank into the Racor is 'better'.
If you need to bleed the system, start with the Racor (bleed screw on the Racor housing, sometimes depending on the Racor 'head' you will have a priming pump to aid bleeding, then bleed the 'guard' filter that mounted on the engine (has bleed screw) using the priming pump on the Racor to clear the air from the 'guard' filter. If the engine mounted 'lift pump' delivers TO the engine 'guard' filter then use the 'bail' on the lift pump to manually work the diaphargm of the lift pump to fill/purge air from the 'guard' filter.
Usually on Yamars all you have to bleed is the filters as they will usually start right up after you bleed the 'fuel delivery' lines. Rarely do you have to bleed the high pressure pump and the injectors --- thank you Mr. Yanmar !!!!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook