SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

replacing the outhaul

5K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  Hudsonian 
#1 ·
I want to replace the internal outhaul system in a Kenyon boom that I have...

Last weekend I attached a runner (made out 50 feet of light line) to the end of the outhaul at the tack end and started pulling at the clew end. What arrived at the hole at the end of the boom was a fiddle block. So.... I'm assuming that there must be an internal eyestrap within the boom that holds the block. If this assumption is correct, there must be a way to attach a new pulley system to this internal eyestrap. But I don't know how to get to it unless there is access to it along the outside of the boom. Do I have to take apart the boom in order to get at the eyestrap? I've goggled Kenyon booms etc., but no luck.

#4 ·
The end casting on most booms is removable. if you take the end casting off you can get access to the interior of the boom.

#6 · (Edited)
This page should start you in the right direction Harken. As you surmised there may be an eyestrap in mid-boom.

Alternatively on a 30' sloop I seen the outhaul control line fastened to an eyestrap at the goose neck fitting; a couple of feet aft a single block was affixed in an eye in the control line; the control line continued aft to a fiddle block; where it turned and went forward to the single block,;where it turned and went aft to turn at the other sheave in the fiddleblock; it then continued forward to an exit block 18" aft of the gooseneck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.