Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 07-07-2007

Mithril is on a distinguished road
Water Heating Questions

I have read through several posts on this forum about heating water, but I still have a few unanswered questions.

I agree with the idea of having the diesel engine heat up the water heater through a heat exchanger while it is running. But like many other boats my engine is currently set up to use raw water to cool it. As such it should be using low temperature thermostat to prevent salt build-up in the engine. There have been several mentions of conversion to a fresh water system (kit)? What would that entail? Is that a closed fresh water cooling system? Is that even an option if I am sailing in salt water?

If I also install a hot water line cabin heater like the Hurricane, how would I join these systems up? How would they heat up the same hot water tank?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-07-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
A raw water cooled system will still have a thermostat set about 140˚ F. This is still hot enough to run a water heater off of...

Most of the in-line water heaters are on-demand water heaters, and don't require the use of a tank as such.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-07-2007

HerbDB is on a distinguished road
The hot water heater does not use raw water. It is included in a loop that holds only a fresh water/antifreeze mix. This mix leaves the engine, exchanges heat with fresh water in the hot water heater, then goes into the heat exchanger for cooling with raw water before returning to the engine. The only part of the circuit that sees outside water is one side of the heat exchanger on the engine.
Old 07-07-2007

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Exactly. You need to think out the diesel cooling provision before contemplating an engine-heated hot water tank. The heater uses water tank water heated by the "radiator" of the closed coolant loop, which under normal conditions gets a lot hotter than the 145 F. of the raw water circuit, because it isn't salty. I get to about 175-185 F on my Westerbeke W52, and this promotes better combustion.

The 145 F figure is a compromise of running in salt water and avoiding the somewhat more complex plumbing of a heat exchanger circuit. It's a false economy, in my opinion, for salt-water engines. In fresh water, you can run at 180-200 F, and just flush the passages out (and use a post-raw water pump, pre-block basket strainer) during winterization.
Old 07-07-2007

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road
I believe Mithril has a raw water cooled engine, not a fresh water cooled engine with a sea water cooled heat exchanger. A number of the smallest diesels are made this way. It is possible to buy a "kit" to convert it to fresh water cooling. The kit basically consists of the heat exchanger and a second water pump for the salt water. The existing pump is used as the fresh water pump.
Old 07-07-2007
Not So Senior Member

Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about
We have an after market fresh water cooled Yanmar 2GM. What happens is the fresh side is circulated with the existing pump. This pumps the fresh through the engine and to the hot water heater, then back through the heat exchanger, and finaly back through the engine block. An additional pump, belt, and pulley are mounted for sea water. This pump brings sea water in, and is plumbed directly back to the heat exchanger and then to the exhaust mixing elbow. In my system the water heater will keep water hot all night. If I motor for about an hour in the evening to top up my batteries, that will be enough running time to have hot water the next morning. My water is really hot too, I have to use the mixer so I don't scald myself. So, you now have hot water, and as a bonus you no longer are introducing salt water to the engines cooling passes.

Our set up is small, but I would think the principals apply to larger systems too.
Old 07-07-2007

Mithril is on a distinguished road
I think I get it, is the heat exchanger part of the water heater or a separate unit?

So how would you integrate, for example, a Hurricane cabin heater to this system?

Thanks again all for your help.
Old 07-07-2007
Not So Senior Member

Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about
The heat exchanger and hot water heater are two different parts of the system. They both are quite similar though. The engines heat exchanger is used to cool the freshwater (water and antifreeze mix) before returning to the engine block. This happens by a heat transfer process where the hot freshwater passes through tubes in the heat exchange vessel, around the freshwater tubes is the cold seawater. The cold seawater takes the heat away from the hot freshwater side and then goes out to the exhaust mixing elbow.
The hot water heater works by the same principal. The "hot" freshwater tubes pass through a vessel that is your hot water tank. As the hot fresh water passes through these tubes, the cooler water in the tank draws the heat away. After enough time you have a tank full of hot water.
The two fluids exchanging heat never meet, they transfer heat from the tubes they pass through, into the fluid in the vessel that the tubes are passing through.
I suppose if you wanted to plumb in a cabin heating device you would just plumb the freshwater into that equipment before running back to the engines heat exchanger. You can plumb a bunch of heat exchanging devices in a row, but there will be less and less heat to use as you go down the line.

Here is a link to a pic of a two pass heat exchanger, there are many different types though.

Image:Heat exc 2-1.png - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and the original article:
Heat exchanger - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 07-09-2007
CatSailor from Oz

alanl is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to alanl
Hi Mithril

I had a similar decision to make because of a raw water cooled Yanmar. The cost, hassle and likely ineffective result of adding a heat exchanger was out of all proportion to the benefit - especially since the cooling water temperature was very low. If you have the room for a 9 kg gas cylinder where it can be secured and drain to the sea, plus a (separate) place for the heater unit and it's exhaust vent, why not consider an "on-demand" gas water heater? The cylinder and units on my boat are located in two separate seat-high lockers aft of the cockpit and require the pilot to be lit only when in use. If you confine the hot water usage to "shower-time" it needs to be on for only an hour or so a day. This is highly efficient, cheap and safe.

Cheers from Oz

Alan

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.