Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 07-09-2007
Sea Slacker

brak is on a distinguished road
To backing-plate or not, that is the question

I am replacing thru-hulls on a 35 y/o boat. The ones currently there are, probably, not original but are getting long in the tooth (larger one's have "rounded" edges, which I am guessing is a result of corrosion eating at them). That said, thru-hulls appeared to be solid and at least one took hours to saw through (by hand, I don't want to gouge the hull with power tools). Thanks to whoever installed them for not using 5200, btw

Anyway, the previous thru-hulls had no backing plates. The hull fiberglass thickness is somwhere between 5/8" and 3/4", so there is a lot of glass. Hull is relatively flat where thru-hulls are installed. I am struggling with whether backing plates will do more harm than good. I have some teak for the purpose, which I can probably seal with epoxy. Still, over long term I wonder if teak would not deteriorate faster and then cause seal issues?

Ideas?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-09-2007

Tartan34C will become famous soon enough
No need for backing plates in this application.
All the best,
Robert Gainer
Old 07-09-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Given that the hull is that thick and that the inner hull surface is relatively flat, I would have to agree that there really is no need for a backing plate.

The only question I have is have you check to see if the hull there is solid laminate. Some boats have cored hulls, if yours does not...then don't worry about it... if it does, then you should make sure the area is solid glass rather than cored laminate.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-09-2007
Sea Slacker

brak is on a distinguished road
No core there - all glass, and looks fairly green even at the cut of the thru-hull. I had to pay all that money for something, and mainly I paid for a hulk of glass

Well, thanks guys - this was my feeling too but I prefer to get a second opinion!
Old 07-09-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Have fun...

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-09-2007

RickLaPaz is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog
Have fun...
You sir, are pure evil.............