Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 07-10-2007

LWinters is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to LWinters
Not another Hot dip galvanizing and CQR lead question...

I've pulled the 265 feet of 3/8 BBB chain and was planning on taking it and my two CQR anchors (60 and 35 lb) in to get hot dip galvanized. I've heard hints of lead tips that will melt out of the CQR during this galvanization process and wondered if anyone knew which CQR's were susceptible and what action needed to be taken?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by LWinters; 07-10-2007 at 06:28 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-10-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Most of the CQR anchors have a lead weight in the tip, to help balance them out a bit better... and you will need to add the lead back to the anchor, or it will have some trouble setting properly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-10-2007

Thanks SD. I guess I am wondering how I will go about doing that. Do I need to take a torch to the tip first to melt the lead out or let the dip process take care of that? There doesn't seem to be any bolts or other fasteners holding the lead in so will it bond to the galvanized finish?

There are around 125 degrees C difference between the melting point of led and the dip bath. Do they let the chain and anchors come up to that temp or is it a quick enough dip that the lead doesn't get that hot?

Old 07-10-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I believe you'd be better off removing the lead yourself for two reasons. First, you can probably save the lead for re-use when the anchors come back. Second, contaminating the zinc bath will make the galvanizing company pretty unhappy.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 07-10-2007
SENIOR CHIEF

USCGRET1990 is on a distinguished road
“Whatever you think you can do or believe you can do, begin it. Action has magic, grace and power in it.” Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Too bad that didn't work for the hundreds of boat projects I've seen abandoned! (I bought a few of them;-)
Old 07-10-2007

C'mon USCG! You trying to tell me something? Actually, I do wonder how many boat projects would have made it if they owners had learned to do the maintenance themselves instead of waiting until they could hire someone to do it. Until then, makes for some good buys!

So I talked to a guy who runs an anchor rehab shop and he says he's never seen a CQR loose lead during the hot dip process. Apparently the lead is covered over in steel when they are made so it can't run out no matter how hot the bath. He looks like he's done this a few times. Sausalito Diving Services : Anchors on eBay : Ground tackle

Old 07-11-2007
Wish I never found SN!

SimonV will become famous soon enough
The hot dip prosess, is measured in minutes it is quite short the thicker the metal the thicker the gal.

I love my boat
S/V GOODONYA
Brisbane
present location Heading to the Whitesundays

DELIVERY SKIPPER
Drinking Rum before 10am makes you a Pirate NOT an alcohlic
Old 07-11-2007
Anchorsmith

Craig Smith is on a distinguished road
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog
Most of the CQR anchors have a lead weight in the tip, to help balance them out a bit better... and you will need to add the lead back to the anchor, or it will have some trouble setting properly.
No they don't!

Why does this misconception keep coming up?

Some very old CQRs do have lead, or imitations, but Lewmar CQRs do not - the tip is just solid steel.

In any case a brief inspection will tell you. The lead insert is quite obvious.

Sailnet Disclosure: Craig is the son of the designer of Rocna and has a financial interest in its success.
Old 07-11-2007
Telstar 28

Good to know Craig... My friend's anchors were definitely old CQRs..and that might be the reason for the discrepancy.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 07-11-2007

Craig,

Thanks for the clarification! I've looked at both the 60 and 35 lb CQRs on my boat and I don't see anything but steel. They are definatley beefed up at the tips, but no lead is present. Considering lead won't rust I'd think it would stand out against the rusted steel.

Hot dip bath here I come. I'll try and show a before and after.

As a side note, while almost everyone is aware that chain can be hot dip galvanized almost no one I've talked to has actually done it. I've had several people adivse me to buy new chain as it was easily as cheap as galvanizing. After digging around I've found a guy who will do the anchors and chain on my boat for .37 - .47 cents per pound. My 265 ft of BBB chain weighs 415 lbs so I am looking at under $200. Much cheaper than the $950 + shipping Defender wants for new 3/8 in BBB chain. Plus all my anchors will be covered as well. Much cheaper then replacement.