Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 11-19-2008

Jimske is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonV View Post
It looks good, is it sharp on the feet. what prep did you use, cost and size of boat. Well done.
I have sampled KiwiGrip and like it very much. When the texture is "high" it tends to be pointy and, yes, can be hard on feet and skin. So I have been experimenting with different rollers to get a lighter effect. It seems that even a light texture will provide a great non-skid. I don't know how to transfer a photo so I put one under my profile photos if you want to check the finish out. This was done with a "Twist Carpet" texture roller by BESST-LIEBCO stock #8390.

As long as you don't need to hide defects this should work real well.

J
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-19-2008

Capnblu is on a distinguished road
That stuff looks HORRIBLE. The mismatched colors, the uneven coating and texture. I wouldn't use this junk if it were free. Ok, who's gonna be first to tell me I am being too hard on these paint on ugly deck DIY's?
Old 11-19-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capnblu View Post
That stuff looks HORRIBLE. The mismatched colors, the uneven coating and texture. I wouldn't use this junk if it were free. Ok, who's gonna be first to tell me I am being too hard on these paint on ugly deck DIY's?
Hahahah. Yeah, it can look horrible. If you see the job at the Kiwi site that looks pretty good. Again, I don't like the spikey stipple look. The colors may just be the photos. I found the color to be uniform. With a little practice I think you can get a uniform appearance but. . .you must maintain the same technique throughout.

Did you look at the sample I posted on my profile?

Jim
Old 11-19-2008

catamount is on a distinguished road
For what it is worth, I applied KiwiGrip to my decks last fall. I've documented the process here (prep and prime) and here (final application).

The KiwiGrip material is uniform in color, so I'm not sure which of the non-skids pictured earlier in this thread CapnBlu is referring to. On the other hand, one does need to take care with the KiwiGrip to ensure uniform texture and coverage (and the close up pictures shown above do look pretty bad in those regards).

Here's one relatively close up picture of the finished job on my boat (this is shortly after launch and the boat hadn't been washed yet, so ignore the dirt):

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, a new voice for ocean conservation

Last edited by catamount; 05-02-2009 at 06:36 AM. Reason: update URLs for links and image
Old 11-19-2008

[QUOTEHere's one relatively close up picture of the finished job on my boat (this is shortly after launch and the boat hadn't been washed yet, so ignore the dirt):

Looks real good. I am still going to persue an application with a slightly less texture.

J

PS. Is there an easy way to insert a pic?
Old 11-19-2008

catamount is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimske View Post
PS. Is there an easy way to insert a pic?
You need to have accumulated more than 5 or 10 posts before you're allowed to post pictures. Then when you're composing your post you can insert pics with the "Insert Image" button that shows up with all the other formatting buttons at the top so the composition box.

, a new voice for ocean conservation