Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 07-11-2007

TXS-ALAMO is on a distinguished road
Question zinc replacement

I just had the hull cleaned, thru-hulls checked, prop cleaned and zincs replaced. The zincs had been replaced the 1st of April this year with three donut zincs on my 1-1/4 inch diameter shaft. They were almost falling off after only a little over three months. The previous egg type zinc (one) had lasted almost two years but at a different marina for one of those years. The three new large egg zincs were recommended by both the diver and several dock mates. As a matter of fact, one of these said he has a large commercial zinc suspended by a cable and grounded to his engine in addition to his shaft zincs, (he has a note on his ignition key to this effect). I believe that there must be some major electrical currents in the water to cause this zinc problem. I have a Fluke multimeter but don't know how to test the water for stray current. If I can test and find electrical current in the water, what would be my best solutions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-11-2007

SoOkay is on a distinguished road
what's around you at dock?

For example one season I was next to a tug and went thru 3 sets

Last edited by SoOkay; 07-11-2007 at 05:41 PM.
Old 07-11-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
You have a serious problem at your dock if you went through zincs in just three months. I wrote a post a while back on how to detect a DC-related current leak.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-12-2007

sailorjim99 is an unknown quantity at this point
If you have 'live aboards' near you, that can cause the problem.

I haven't found out why but I think it is something to do with the amount of electricity they use all the time as compared to a vacant boat.

Jim.
Old 07-12-2007
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Fstbttms will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog
You have a serious problem at your dock if you went through zincs in just three months. I wrote a post a while back on how to detect a DC-related current leak.
Rapid anode depletion is far more likely to be caused by an electrical problem aboard the boat in question than it is to be caused by a "hot" dock or marina. While it can't hurt to check for stray current in the water, TXS-ALAMO should consider going through his boat's electrical system as well, IMHO.
Old 07-12-2007
Seńor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
I had this problem with my former boat and questioned the possibility of fault by both my marina's AC connections and dockmate's boat. My boat was determined to be the cause of my excessive zinc and running gear corrosion. I had a faulty ground connection to my galvanic isolator - solved by some meter testing and a little rewiring labor by my marina.

Vindication was made to the marina by way of a $550.00 labor bill and I bought my dockmate lunch as an apology for the error through my false accusations.
Old 07-12-2007

TXS-ALAMO is on a distinguished road
I am a liveaboard. But this doesn't explain the difference in zinc loss between now and the previous 2 years. There is a home-built aluminium hull ketch that moved in about 6 months ago. The marina, Marina Landing Marina is across from Moody Gardens in a side area of Offuts Bayou in Galveston. The electrical wiring to the docks runs underneath the dock and is "enclosed" in white poly plumbing tubing. It is frequently underwater at very high tides and the Marina cuts electrical power in extreme weather. As an aside. I have had to replace my window ac units three times in the last 2 years as they cease to cool after short times of usage. There are frequent complaints of loss of electrical power and many boats seeking dockage are turned away because the slips have no electical power. Given all this and the fact that my 29d batteries are now dead as doornails, narrowing the cause to the Marina or my boat or both is tricky! Therefore, ascertaining the presence of stray current and the source is the first step.
Old 07-12-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXS-ALAMO
The electrical wiring to the docks runs underneath the dock and is "enclosed" in white poly plumbing tubing. It is frequently underwater...
This is true of virtually every marina I have ever worked in.
Old 07-12-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I am aware of that... and his boat is at his dock... if you read the post I was referring to about detecting DC leaks, it clearly is for tracing leaks caused by a boat's own DC electrical system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fstbttms
Rapid anode depletion is far more likely to be caused by an electrical problem aboard the boat in question than it is to be caused by a "hot" dock or marina. While it can't hurt to check for stray current in the water, TXS-ALAMO should consider going through his boat's electrical system as well, IMHO.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-12-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog
I am aware of that... and his boat is at his dock... if you read the post I was referring to about detecting DC leaks, it clearly is for tracing leaks caused by a boat's own DC electrical system.
I didn't read your pevious post, nor was I referring to it. I was rebutting TXS-ALAMO's inference that his marina's shorepower system was possibly responsible for his situation because the electrical conduit was submerged at times. This is a very common occurance and not necessarily indicative of a problem with a shorepower system.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.