Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 07-12-2007

scurvy is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to scurvy
VHF Radio won't transmit

Hey everyone,

I was out on the boat yesterday working on the engine and when I had finished I tried to hail the launch, but got no response, I tried the hailing channel a few times more, but again no response...I tried several other channels to see if perhaps that channel was tied up due to a club race that was going on and the launch was very busy, but again...nothing.

After getting the launches attention with a few blasts of the air horn, I asked if we might try to go back to channel 68 and see if he could hear my transmission...he could not, but I could receive his clear as a bell?

When I depress the bar on the handset, the static/squelch cuts out as though it is making (or at least attempting) a transmission...

Any idea what might be plaguing my aging VHF Radio??? Time to get a new one?

Chris
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-12-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Well...first thing to check is if the TX light is coming on the front panel of your radio when you press the transmit button to talk. If not...time for a new radio.
If it is coming on...chances are it is an antenna/wire corrosion issue. If you have acess to someone with an SWR meter, you can check the output of the radio and the quality of your antenna connection. Alternatively...you can buy a spare emergency VHF antenna (a good idea to have anyway) and hook it up to your radio and see if others can hear you. That will identify if the problem is radio or antenna system.
The shakespeare emergency vhf antenna is available here for $44.
Old 07-12-2007

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by scurvy
After getting the launches attention with a few blasts of the air horn, I asked if we might try to go back to channel 68 and see if he could hear my transmission...he could not, but I could receive his clear as a bell?
May or may not be informative. Doesn't really take much to receive. You could stick a coat hanger out the back and it would receive over that distance. But the transmitter, depending on design, may dislike something like that sufficiently that it would simply refuse to use it. (In layman's terms.)

Quote:
When I depress the bar on the handset, the static/squelch cuts out as though it is making (or at least attempting) a transmission...
Well, we know the microphone switch is working and the radio is "seeing" it.

Quote:
Any idea what might be plaguing my aging VHF Radio??? Time to get a new one?
When you press the transmit button, do listeners hear their squelch break, but simply no audio, or are you not even breaking their squelch? If the former: Bad microphone or coiled cord would be the most likely suspects. Issue in the radio's electronics my second guess.

If you're really not transmitting even a dead carrier, either the radio's transmitter section is kaput or possibly the transmission line (coax) or antenna are so out-of-whack the transmitter refuses to transmit out of a desire for self-preservation.

Got any Ham Radio friends? A competent Ham (no longer a guarantee, alas ) should be able to suss it out in short order.

If it is the radio: As to whether it's worth repairing or you're better-off replacing, well, that's a judgement call. If it were me, having a GPS capable of chatting with the newer radios--capable of both sending and receiving MOB and other digital distress data, and I could afford to do it, I think it'd be a good excuse to upgrade .

Jim
Old 07-12-2007

Great Suggestions!!!

I replaced all the coax cables and connectors, but the old antenna stayed. May or may not be the culprit, but the radio is a vintage Uniden (c. 1980). Probably time for a new one, but she was a good one while she worked!

An antenna replacement could be in order, but at this stage in the game would require a trip up the mast (Drat!)

Looking into some hand helds as I write this...
Thanks again for the suggestions and information
Chris
Old 07-12-2007

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
cam's suggestion of trying another antenna was a good one. (I hadn't thought of that.) If you don't want to buy a test/backup antenna, perhaps a friend on another boat will let you try hooking-up your radio there, for a test?

Jim
Old 07-12-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEMIJim
cam's suggestion of trying another antenna was a good one. (I hadn't thought of that.) If you don't want to buy a test/backup antenna, perhaps a friend on another boat will let you try hooking-up your radio there, for a test?

Jim

Good Thinking!!!!
I will try that first....
Chris
Old 07-12-2007
Ne'er Do Well

TSteele65 is on a distinguished road
If it's 27 yrs old, I'd replace it as a matter of course. You can get Uniden Solara for under $100.
Old 07-12-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Umm.. have you tried using an SWR meter to see if the antenna is connected properly and that the radio is actually transmitting, and what power level it is transmitting at? BTW, if it is an older radio and the antenna is not connected properly, and you tried to transmit, you may have fried the transmitter. IIRC, that was a possibility with older VHF units.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-12-2007

I think it is time to deep six the radio. Already looking into a new hand held unit.
Thanks for all the advice and great ideas...still will carry out a few of these suggestions just in case this ever happens again...I have only owned two radios before...this being the second (never had this happen). I have learned a lot through this post. Thanks again for all the help with my dilemma!

Chris
Old 07-12-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Scurvy-

I'd seriously reconsider getting just a handheld unit. The handheld units, while very convenient, do have the problem that they are much more limited in range and power. Also, most of the handhelds, excepting a few by SH and Uniden, don't support DSC, and the ones that do only support the emergency features of DSC.

And while you're at it.. replace the antenna.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.