Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 03-04-2002

sailmanray is on a distinguished road
Beneteau 321 Electric Windlass

Has anyone been successful installing an electic Windlass on a Beneteau 321. Local dealer tells me they have not. Beneteau offers a manual model only.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-09-2007

nevaeh is on a distinguished road
Windlass

Mine came with the boat seems to work just fine.
Installed in 1995 by Anchor Yachts Port Credit Canada.
Old 03-09-2007

TomChitwood is on a distinguished road
I am interested in a windlass and would like to share in any information that the sailors on this forum can provide.
Old 03-09-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Tom-

Your question is rather vague... it would help if you:

A) Didn't hi-jack someone else's thread.
B) Said what size and type of anchor you use
C) What anchor rode you use
D) What boat it is going to be used on
E) Whether you want an power or manual windlass
F) If power, do you want hydraulic or electric

sailmanray-

I don't see a problem with installing an electric windlass on most boats. The issue is how you handle the wiring and power issues. There are two options for a power windlass, assuming you're going to use an electric windlass. The other issue is whether you have the below deck clearance necessary for a powered windlass. Vertical windlasses require more space below deck, but will generally last a bit longer as the motor is below deck and more protected from the elements—however, it will generally require a larger hole for the installation.

1) Install a small battery up near the bow to handle the loads the windlass will generate. This is my preference, as you don't have to run a very expensive and heavy long run of cable, but you do have to have the battery. However, a small AGM battery can often do the job here.

2) Install the windlass without a dedicated battery. The main downside to this is that it requires a long run of fairly heavy cabling to power the windlass.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-10-2007

I had no intention of hi-jacjing a thread. I simply wanted to share any information that might be imparted by others on this sight. The fact that we both have 321 Beneteaus could apply to either of our questions. My question is where to place an electric widlass(on the deck or in the anchor locker?) I am able to run cable from a battery to a windlass so lay off the crap that either of of us need to be lead by the hand to work on our boats!!!!!
I simply ask a question and for some advice from fellow sailors. So please keep your know it all advice to yourself.
I would like some help from those of you that want to give it.
Old 03-11-2007
can't re member

yotphix is on a distinguished road
Wow! You really know how to introduce yourself don't you Tom. You must have a lot of friends. SD was attempting to answer your extremely vague question, Lay off the crap yourself!
Old 03-11-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomChitwood
I am interested in a windlass and would like to share in any information that the sailors on this forum can provide.
Tom-

I don't really see why you're taking such an attitude... my post was reasonable as far as I can see. Exactly, how am I supposed to know that you have a Beneteau 321 when you don't say that you do... I don't know what boat you have, unless you say so.

You also didn't specify electric windlass... you said windlass... that could be hydraulic, manual or electric.

If you don't want my advice... that's fine... but you were asking for advice and did ask a very vague question with very little detailed information. If you're that vague... exactly how do you expect to get any worthwhile advice. My post was trying to point out that detailed information generally gets much more specific advice. Garbage in, generally leads to garbage out... as they say in computer science.

It doesn't help that you seem to be so ignorant as to not know net etiquette, spelling or basic manners. You also seem sorely lacking in anything resembling common sense. I truly hope that you do not sail any significant distance from shore, so as not to put all those brave souls in the USCG at risk.

Thanks Yotphix... but some people have no social skills.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 03-11-2007
Telstar 28

One other thing about windlass installations. You generally need to install a chain stopper and a large cleat or mooring bit to snub the anchor rode to, as the windlass is generally not designed to take the load of an anchor rode in use. Both of these should be backed by a substantial backing plate when they are installed.

Also, if you don't have a bow roller, installing one now would be a good idea. It should also be backed with a solid backing plate. This can make deploying and stowing the anchor much easier, since many anchors can be stowed and deployed from bow rollers, depending on the design. A few things to look for in a bow roller—high cheek plates to help keep the rode in place, a pin to hold the anchor in the roller when stowed, and if your anchor requires it for deployment, a pivoting design. Some of the newer anchors, like the Rocna, have fairly substantial stocks and you really will need to check to see if the roller will fit your primary anchor.

I recommend 5/16" aluminum or 1/2" marine plywood. I prefer the aluminum, since it is thinner and fairly easy to work with. Don't forget to use lanocote or some other anti-galvanic corrosion barrier between the fasteners and the aluminum backing plate.

If you are going to use an all chain anchor rode, it is generally a good idea to have a long nylon snubber line, preferably 45-70', so that you can use a chain hook and tie the snubber line off to the cleat. All chain rode tends to put too much shock loading on the boat's ground tackle otherwise.

The reason I recommend such a long snubber line is that you can let out more scope if necessary without having to bring the rode back up, remove the chain hook and then re-attach the chain hook once the rode has been lengthened. It simplifies the procedure and makes it a bit safer as well IMHO.

Telstar 28
New England

Last edited by sailingdog; 03-11-2007 at 03:58 AM.
Old 03-11-2007

Eating Crow

I can only say that I was expecting a reply to an answer to a question on a 321 windlass. I didn't think that my request for information would be answered by asking what I needed. I failed to realize that I did not note that I also had a 321. My mistake and I acted with out thinking. MY apologise to all. Yea! I am not the most popular guy on the dock, but I can be depended on for any help with tools or free labor to anyone that needs it.
Again! Sorry
Tom
Old 03-11-2007
Telstar 28

Tom-

I accept and appreciate the apology.

If there are any questions I can answer, I will to the best of my abilities.. I hope that the information I've previously posted helps both you and sailmanray regarding the installation of a windlass.

One other point I'd like to make is that you need to place the switches for an electric windlass in such a position so that you can't accidentally activate the windlass while you are working with the rode. I've seen too many sailors that have mangled or missing fingers, caused by power windlasses that way.

My advice is that you install a manual windlass, rather than a power one, at least initially. The installation is far less complex, and the ground tackle on a boat the size of yours is such that an electric windlass really isn't a necessity.

Telstar 28
New England

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.