Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 07-12-2007
New Sailors Jane & Bernd

Windermere is on a distinguished road
Port Hole Gaskets & Teak Veneer

Hi! Anyone have any idea where we can buy gaskets for our leaking port holes? How about teak veneer to replace the stuff the leaking port holes ruined?! Thanks, Jane
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-12-2007

groundhog is on a distinguished road
Try this guy. I just bought some Sapele veneer from him and he is great.
Robin Higdon/Veneer1

Mention groundhog sent you.

It was pretty cheap and I think he threw in extra..
gh
Old 07-12-2007

groundhog is on a distinguished road
veneer1 at bellsouth dot net
Old 07-12-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Jane-

It would help if you said what kind of boat and what kind of portholes you need gaskets for.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-12-2007
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Constantine (who are in Florida now, I think) or ML CONDON 248 Ferris Ave. White Plains, NY 10603 tel: 914-946-4111 should both have it. Since there's quite a range in color I'd recommend actually going in to hand pick something similar to what you have, if you can. (Or to send them a photo or a piece of the damaged section and ask for a match--both are known for outstanding service.)

You may be able to repair the veneer if it has only lifted, by injecting epoxy behind it and pressing it back down, that's a standard veneer repair.

I'd try asking the hatch maker for the right gaskets first, they may be overpriced but the material and shape do count. For generic gasket material, Grainger or McMaster (both online) have large stocks of different sizes and materials. Remember that your old gaskets probably have shrunk a bit--what they measure now, may not be what the correct new ones would measure.

Regular ArmorAll or talc application will help keep gaskets like new for many years.
Old 07-13-2007
New Sailors Jane & Bernd

Port Hole Gaskets

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog
Jane-

It would help if you said what kind of boat and what kind of portholes you need gaskets for.
Right! It's a 1984 Morgan 454 Nelson Marek. I'm not sure what you mean by type, aluminum in the main salon. Does that do it?! Thanks again.
Old 07-13-2007
New Sailors Jane & Bernd

Thank you all. This is such a great site and you are all so helpful. We really appreciate it.
Old 07-13-2007
New Sailors Jane & Bernd

Hellosailor, Constantine, is that a person or business?! We are in Florida too so I am curious if you have any more information. Jane
Old 07-13-2007
New Sailors Jane & Bernd

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor
Constantine (who are in Florida now, I think) or ML CONDON 248 Ferris Ave. White Plains, NY 10603 tel: 914-946-4111 should both have it. Since there's quite a range in color I'd recommend actually going in to hand pick something similar to what you have, if you can. (Or to send them a photo or a piece of the damaged section and ask for a match--both are known for outstanding service.)

You may be able to repair the veneer if it has only lifted, by injecting epoxy behind it and pressing it back down, that's a standard veneer repair.

I'd try asking the hatch maker for the right gaskets first, they may be overpriced but the material and shape do count. For generic gasket material, Grainger or McMaster (both online) have large stocks of different sizes and materials. Remember that your old gaskets probably have shrunk a bit--what they measure now, may not be what the correct new ones would measure.

Regular ArmorAll or talc application will help keep gaskets like new for many years.
I am curious about Constantine as we are in Florida too. Do you have any more info., I'd sure appreciate it. Jane
Old 07-13-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windermere
Right! It's a 1984 Morgan 454 Nelson Marek. I'm not sure what you mean by type, aluminum in the main salon. Does that do it?! Thanks again.
I would start by contacting this website. If you ask there, they may be able to source the gaskets for you.

Some boats have ports that were manufactured by a specific manufacturer, like Bomar or Lewmar, and if these were, although they do not sound like it, then contacting the manufacturer of the port would be a good choice.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.