SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Repowering Help (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/34823-repowering-help.html)

SDW 07-12-2007 11:56 PM

Repowering Help

Anyone familiar with a functional 10 to 20 HP Diesel that is available for sale in the northeast? She's a Columbia 8.7 in Mayo, MD and currently fitted with a Westerbeke 12B2 so any of the smaller westerbekes with a similar footprint would be easiest for me, but I'm ready to consider anything that will fit. even a smaller one lunger would be considered if it's reliable. Thanks!

Steve

Driver 07-16-2007 10:05 AM

Vetus

Hi,

We replaced our tired Volvo MD5 in our 32 foot boat last summer with a Vetus 16 HP. It was a good replacement/fit. It seems to be a very nice engine with a longer warranty than the Yanmars etc. Our boatyard was so impressed with the support/service they received from Vetus that they are now an authorized dealer. We are in no way connected to the manufacturer or dealer - just satisfied customers. Good luck with your project.

Kathy :)

PassionKid 07-16-2007 03:55 PM

There was a post not too long ago with a suggestion to repowering with a Diesel ... The Most Powerful Diesel Engine in the World - however it may be slightly larger then you had orignially planned ... :)

JimsCAL 07-16-2007 05:37 PM

I recently came across Sound Marine Diesel LLC which sells Beta Marine diesels. These are Japanese Kubota industial engines that have been marinized. Universal diesels are also Kubota engines. Beta has 2-cylinder engines of 10 and 13.5 HP that should work for you. Sound Marine's prices seem to be well below Yanmar. Nice thing about a Kubota engine is that you can get engine parts at a tractor dealer for a fraction of the markup that the marine people charge.

sailingdog 07-16-2007 07:42 PM

If you plan to cruise outside of the US, stay away from Beta Marine, which does not have service or support in other parts of the world IIRC.

Freesail99 07-16-2007 07:48 PM

Nanni diesel is also based on the Kubota engine. Good prices. I could not get any prices on the Vetus engines.

Driver 07-16-2007 07:57 PM

Vetus Prices

We ordered through a place in Holliston,MA Marine Engines Transmissions New and remanufactured - shipping world wide I swear they used to have the prices posted online - don't think they do now. We paid just over $5k for the engine delivered free to RI.

jgaddis 07-17-2007 01:05 AM

I was hoping to see what the turbo charger on an engine of that size looks like.

Tartan34C 07-17-2007 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sailingdog
If you plan to cruise outside of the US, stay away from Beta Marine, which does not have service or support in other parts of the world IIRC.

Beta is built on a Kubota block and one of the easiest to service anywhere in the world. If they have small industrial or tractor engines then they have Beta Marine parts. The only parts needed from Beta themselves are the heat exchanger or exhaust parts. In the unlikely event you need them just have them sent to wherever.
All the best,
Robert Gainer

Disclaimer, I repowered last year with Beta Marine and found both the dealer, Steve Gaber, in FL and the importer great. I am a very happy customer and I selected Beta for myself after being a Yanmar dealer for many many years.

oasis 07-06-2011 11:16 PM

westerbeke 12b2

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDW (Post 166249)
Anyone familiar with a functional 10 to 20 HP Diesel that is available for sale in the northeast? She's a Columbia 8.7 in Mayo, MD and currently fitted with a Westerbeke 12B2 so any of the smaller westerbekes with a similar footprint would be easiest for me, but I'm ready to consider anything that will fit. even a smaller one lunger would be considered if it's reliable. Thanks!

Steve

Advertisement removed since poster has inadequate post count