Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2007

SDW is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Repowering Help

Anyone familiar with a functional 10 to 20 HP Diesel that is available for sale in the northeast? She's a Columbia 8.7 in Mayo, MD and currently fitted with a Westerbeke 12B2 so any of the smaller westerbekes with a similar footprint would be easiest for me, but I'm ready to consider anything that will fit. even a smaller one lunger would be considered if it's reliable. Thanks!

Steve
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-16-2007

Driver is on a distinguished road
Vetus

Hi,

We replaced our tired Volvo MD5 in our 32 foot boat last summer with a Vetus 16 HP. It was a good replacement/fit. It seems to be a very nice engine with a longer warranty than the Yanmars etc. Our boatyard was so impressed with the support/service they received from Vetus that they are now an authorized dealer. We are in no way connected to the manufacturer or dealer - just satisfied customers. Good luck with your project.

Kathy
Old 07-16-2007

PassionKid is on a distinguished road
There was a post not too long ago with a suggestion to repowering with a Diesel ... The Most Powerful Diesel Engine in the World - however it may be slightly larger then you had orignially planned ...
Old 07-16-2007

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road
I recently came across Sound Marine Diesel LLC which sells Beta Marine diesels. These are Japanese Kubota industial engines that have been marinized. Universal diesels are also Kubota engines. Beta has 2-cylinder engines of 10 and 13.5 HP that should work for you. Sound Marine's prices seem to be well below Yanmar. Nice thing about a Kubota engine is that you can get engine parts at a tractor dealer for a fraction of the markup that the marine people charge.
Old 07-16-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
If you plan to cruise outside of the US, stay away from Beta Marine, which does not have service or support in other parts of the world IIRC.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-16-2007

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
Nanni diesel is also based on the Kubota engine. Good prices. I could not get any prices on the Vetus engines.
Old 07-16-2007

Driver is on a distinguished road
Vetus Prices

We ordered through a place in Holliston,MA Marine Engines Transmissions New and remanufactured - shipping world wide I swear they used to have the prices posted online - don't think they do now. We paid just over $5k for the engine delivered free to RI.
Old 07-17-2007
M2 - 33.5 Hunter

jgaddis is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to jgaddis
I was hoping to see what the turbo charger on an engine of that size looks like.
Old 07-17-2007

Tartan34C will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog
If you plan to cruise outside of the US, stay away from Beta Marine, which does not have service or support in other parts of the world IIRC.
Beta is built on a Kubota block and one of the easiest to service anywhere in the world. If they have small industrial or tractor engines then they have Beta Marine parts. The only parts needed from Beta themselves are the heat exchanger or exhaust parts. In the unlikely event you need them just have them sent to wherever.
All the best,
Robert Gainer

Disclaimer, I repowered last year with Beta Marine and found both the dealer, Steve Gaber, in FL and the importer great. I am a very happy customer and I selected Beta for myself after being a Yanmar dealer for many many years.
Old 07-06-2011

oasis is on a distinguished road
westerbeke 12b2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW View Post
Anyone familiar with a functional 10 to 20 HP Diesel that is available for sale in the northeast? She's a Columbia 8.7 in Mayo, MD and currently fitted with a Westerbeke 12B2 so any of the smaller westerbekes with a similar footprint would be easiest for me, but I'm ready to consider anything that will fit. even a smaller one lunger would be considered if it's reliable. Thanks!

Steve
Advertisement removed since poster has inadequate post count

Last edited by Jeff_H; 07-08-2011 at 03:49 PM. Reason: Advertisement removed since poster has inadequate post count