Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 07-14-2007

prariedog is on a distinguished road
Stick (mast) wiring

We recently purchased a 34' Hunter. The wires that come out of the mast at the bottom are short and have regular crimps on them not marine crimps.

We want to change the wiring so that it has ample length. Also there are 2 coax cables that go up the mast that are not used. One is probably for the vhf radio which has been cabbled using a new coax by the previous owner that goes up the port shroud cables. Hmmm.

The question is can I pull the exsisting wires out of the mast, with new wires atatched to the old ones?

I dont Want to start pulling wires really hard to find out they are just snapping inside the mast, which would a loose loose cituation.

Thanks in advance

Prariedog
http://livesailcam.net
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-14-2007

RickLaPaz is on a distinguished road
I think I'd securely attach an 1/8" or 3/16" diameter (slippery) nylon messenger line to the old cables first, and pull gently so the old wire doesn't part/break. Then lay out the new wires parralel to the mast in a straight line so that when you pull the messenger, someone else can feed the new wires in without a lot of twisting or kinks. Also, you may want to add an additional wire (or 2) just for future use. You never know what you may want to add later. Now's the time to plan ahead.......

Enjoy
Old 07-14-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Rick's suggestion is pretty good... but I would also recommend you leave a messenger line in the mast for future use.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-14-2007
Lies about her age

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
using gravity to pull down rather then up is what we do when running wires, piping and stuff in our biz. the weight of the wire will help it go down rather then stress your messenger line pulling up. Of course if the mast is down it's surely easier!
Old 07-15-2007
Senior in age only

HankOnthewater is on a distinguished road
Additional question re mast wiring

I was about to post a question when I saw this thread.
I agree with the three previous posts.

What is the best way to secure wiring in an alloy mast? Some of the things to avoid:
* chafing and clanging of wiring inside the alu mast
* relieving any tension on the wires/cables
* upgradability (as per three previous posts)
* minimise ingress of moisture (is elimination of moisture possible?)

In the past I run a conduit or even two. But what is best way to secure such a conduit?

Hank
take care
Old 07-15-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
The simplest way to secure the wiring in a mast and to prevent chafe, noise, is to install a wiring conduit, usually PVC pipe. Stainless steel pop rivets are a good, fast, and simple way to attach the conduit to the mast.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 03-10-2008

rugila is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
The simplest way to secure the wiring in a mast and to prevent chafe, noise, is to install a wiring conduit, usually PVC pipe. Stainless steel pop rivets are a good, fast, and simple way to attach the conduit to the mast.
I don't quite follow this one.
If the conduit is inside the mast, how do you use the stainless steel pop rivets to attach it? (from outside the mast??)
Old 03-10-2008
Telstar 28

Basically, you drill two holes, and use a piece of coat hanger or stiff wire bent into a hook shape to pull the conduit up against the side of the mast through one of the holes. Then you drill into the PVC through the second and install the pop rivet. Do this about every five or six feet and you'll have a nice safe conduit that runs up the mast to run cabling through. You can even drill into the conduit (before running any wiring of course) to make exits for things like spreader and steaming lights.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 03-23-2008

rugila is on a distinguished road
Probably I should try this out on a bit of drainage pipe before doing it on my mast.

However, any other's experiences are valuable.

Regarding the two holes, is it better to drill these side-by-side and plug up the one not used to secure the conduit with a rivet or sealant? Or to drill one above the other, say 3 inches apart which should enable using both to secure the conduit.

The latter seems to me to be the tidier option, and presumably the pairs of securing points could be spaced further apart then the single ones.
Old 03-23-2008
Telstar 28

Never a bad idea to practice on something cheap and easily replaced...

BTW, coat the rivets with Lanocote or TefGel to prevent corrosion between them and the aluminum mast.

Telstar 28
New England