Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 07-15-2007

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giulietta
Mind you I use the pretty big ones, and voilentely..
I think you just made a French pun, Alex.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-15-2007
Wish I never found SN!

SimonV will become famous soon enough
What would you hit the caught fish with if you cant use a good solid heavy winch handle.

I love my boat
S/V GOODONYA
Brisbane
present location Heading to the Whitesundays

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DELIVERY SKIPPER
Drinking Rum before 10am makes you a Pirate NOT an alcohlic
Old 07-15-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEMIJim
Wow. That must be some abuse you're giving those winch handles! My wife and I were taken along on a race one evening, on a boat we were considering buying. At one point the captain wanted the jib halyard tightened up. Winch was on the mast. So first I tried it tailing the line myself. Not tight enough. Handed the line off to one of the crew to tail it. (Luckily the halyard was on a clutch.) I ended-up hauling on that winch handle with both hands with all my might to finally get it as tight as he wanted it. The winch handle flexed, but it did not break. Now I'm no Atlas, but I'm no 90 lb. weakling, either. I work out two-to-three times a week. I weigh about 190 lbs. (86 kilos).

Jim
Jim,

You can't imagine the abuse the handles get when we're sailing hard on my boat, believe me...we break a few things every now and then...

I am like you except I don't work out at all, no time, I sail a lot tough, and I am 90kg also (202lbs) I have strong arms but weak legs

I have been using winches and winch handles for over 30 years, and that is something I know about...

any way one day I went to West Marine and bought 3 of these to try them out, they were very cheap and West marine only charged me for 2, so why not???

One broke at the handle to shaft attachment, pulling the boom jack, on the very second race we made, the second lasted a bit longer, (1 month) I sailed with it most of August, when it broke at the socket tensioning the main halyhard.....

Here it is while it lasted...

The third one is still in the boat, and ask Tom or Valiente what I told them when they brought it outside to be used..... It is there to be thrown at the next jet sky that comes near me.....for that its good...

Finally I returned to the US and told Westmarine and they gave me 2 new ones of their brand (made by Schaeffer if I am not mistaken), to try out. (the store manager in Portsmouth is a true gentleman and I like him a lot,he knows how to do business that's why I go there a lot, my favorite store in the US).

Here they are all 6 of them I use on my boat, the West Marine ones...

I tell you I don't use Lewmar's or Harken's for one reason.....and believe me I am really critical about my handles...
Old 07-15-2007

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Jim,

You can't imagine the abuse the handles get when we're sailing hard on my boat, believe me...
I have been using winches and winch handles for over 30 years, and that is something I know about...
Oh, I belive you, all right. Believe me when I say I know well I'm in no position to question your judgement on anything having to do with sailing .

Quote:
any way one day I went to West Marine and bought 3 of these to try them out, they were very cheap and West marine only charged me for 2, so why not???
Cuz they were "very cheap?" I think I would've taken a pass. Having a winch handle break while you're wrenching on it seems like it could have disasterous consequences.

Quote:
The third one is still in the boat, and ask Tom or Valiente what I told them when they brought it outside to be used..... It is there to be thrown at the next jet sky that comes near me.....for that its good...
I dunno... I know I said I wouldn't question you, but are you sure it has enough heft for the task?

Quote:
Finally I returned to the US and told Westmarine and they gave me 2 new ones of their brand (made by Schaeffer if I am not mistaken), to try out. (the store manager in Portsmouth is a true gentleman and I like him a lot,he knows how to do business that's why I go there a lot, my favorite store in the US).

Here they are all 6 of them I use on my boat, the West Marine ones...

Very well. If I find myself at West Marine looking for winch handles, I'll look for ones that look like that. Thanks!

Quote:
I tell you I don't use Lewmar's or Harken's for one reason.....and believe me I am really critical about my handles...
I'm again surprised. I would've thought Lewmar or Harken would've been top-of-the-line winch handles.

Jim
Old 07-15-2007

winchspares is on a distinguished road
winch bi-square size

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurav16
Also was wondering if winch handles work for any winch or are they specific to winch size and make? I have lewmar 10's can I buy anyone of the self locking winch handles?
Hi
tech info--
Nearly all the handles are interchangeable in most winches.
For the last 20 odd years Lewmar winch bi-sqauer size has been 17.52 mm to 17.47.
Some of the older winches do not have an undercut in the main spindle
( below the bi-square, so the locking flange on the handle can not lock in.
Very old winches have a small square drive ( 5/8 inch , 15.87 mm)
Hope the above helps.
safe sailing
Old 07-15-2007
I'd rather be sailing

labatt will become famous soon enough
I have the new Lewmar Onetouch winch handles where you just squeeze the handle as you're grabbing it. Those things are well worth the price! We absolutely love ours, especially when we're scrambling in heavier winds.
s/v "Pelican" Passport 40 #076- Finished Cruising - for the moment -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Don't dream your life, live your dream" - Bob Bitchin'
"I'll see it when I believe it" - Me
Old 07-15-2007
'72 Pearson 36

SVDistantStar is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to SVDistantStar
Ive got some old chromed bronze ones made by Barient, Sea-Dog and Barlow. They are heavy, hurt like hell when dropped on your foot and work great as hammers. When we got the boat there was also a crappy plastic one and a thin SS one. I gave the thin SS on away and tossed the plastic one overboard to see if it would float, it didnt. I like the big heavy ones, the Sea-Dog is my fav.
Old 07-16-2007

7tiger7 is on a distinguished road
Actually -
On my catalina 27 (1976) the winch for the main sail halyard is mounted on the mast, and it has a strange rectangular grove in it, to fit a winch handle. Anyone know where I can find one of these older style winch handles??
Thanks