SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Winch handles

4K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  7tiger7 
#1 ·
Also was wondering if winch handles work for any winch or are they specific to winch size and make? I have lewmar 10's can I buy anyone of the self locking winch handles?

#3 ·
The current winches have handles that are standardized... some older winches used proprietary handles, and can't be used with modern handles.

#5 ·
Another quick question; how does the locking work on the locking winch handle? Is it all in the handle or does the winch have to be able to support a locking winch handle (i.e. have a groove or notch in the winch itself?)?

#6 ·
All modern winches that I know of support locking handles. The winch socket is basically an eight-pointed star with the points being 90˚ angles, and is basically two squares superimposed over each other at—the locking mechanism is a square the same size as one of the two superimposed squares, and it rotates about 22˚ to "lock" the handle in place.

#8 ·
They're also easier on your toes when you drop them... ;)

Gene T said:
I love the plastic handled ones, and that is all I will buy now. They float (not that you would be likely to retrieve one) are strong, lightweight, don't mark up the gelcoat and are cheap. What's not to like?

#9 ·
Gene T said:
I love the plastic handled ones, and that is all I will buy now. They float (not that you would be likely to retrieve one) are strong, lightweight, don't mark up the gelcoat and are cheap. What's not to like?
Gene, I don't know how you use yours, but in my boat, they havn't lasted more than 2 weeks, they broke, all 3 of them. Mind you I use the pretty big ones, and voilentely.

I guess for a small cruising boat they are OK. Maybe I should have had written in another way.

#10 ·
Giulietta said:
Gene, I don't know how you use yours, but in my boat, they havn't lasted more than 2 weeks, they broke, all 3 of them. Mind you I use the pretty big ones, and voilentely.
Wow. That must be some abuse you're giving those winch handles! My wife and I were taken along on a race one evening, on a boat we were considering buying. At one point the captain wanted the jib halyard tightened up. Winch was on the mast. So first I tried it tailing the line myself. Not tight enough. Handed the line off to one of the crew to tail it. (Luckily the halyard was on a clutch.) I ended-up hauling on that winch handle with both hands with all my might to finally get it as tight as he wanted it. The winch handle flexed, but it did not break. Now I'm no Atlas, but I'm no 90 lb. weakling, either. I work out two-to-three times a week. I weigh about 190 lbs. (86 kilos).

Jim

#13 ·
SEMIJim said:
Wow. That must be some abuse you're giving those winch handles! My wife and I were taken along on a race one evening, on a boat we were considering buying. At one point the captain wanted the jib halyard tightened up. Winch was on the mast. So first I tried it tailing the line myself. Not tight enough. Handed the line off to one of the crew to tail it. (Luckily the halyard was on a clutch.) I ended-up hauling on that winch handle with both hands with all my might to finally get it as tight as he wanted it. The winch handle flexed, but it did not break. Now I'm no Atlas, but I'm no 90 lb. weakling, either. I work out two-to-three times a week. I weigh about 190 lbs. (86 kilos).

Jim
Jim,

You can't imagine the abuse the handles get when we're sailing hard on my boat, believe me...we break a few things every now and then...

I am like you except I don't work out at all, no time, I sail a lot tough, and I am 90kg also (202lbs) I have strong arms but weak legs

I have been using winches and winch handles for over 30 years, and that is something I know about...

any way one day I went to West Marine and bought 3 of these to try them out, they were very cheap and West marine only charged me for 2, so why not???

One broke at the handle to shaft attachment, pulling the boom jack, on the very second race we made, the second lasted a bit longer, (1 month) I sailed with it most of August, when it broke at the socket tensioning the main halyhard.....

Here it is while it lasted...

The third one is still in the boat, and ask Tom or Valiente what I told them when they brought it outside to be used.....:D :D :D It is there to be thrown at the next jet sky that comes near me.....for that its good...

Finally I returned to the US and told Westmarine and they gave me 2 new ones of their brand (made by Schaeffer if I am not mistaken), to try out. (the store manager in Portsmouth is a true gentleman and I like him a lot,he knows how to do business that's why I go there a lot, my favorite store in the US).

Here they are all 6 of them I use on my boat, the West Marine ones...

I tell you I don't use Lewmar's or Harken's for one reason.....and believe me I am really critical about my handles...

#14 ·
Giulietta said:
Jim,

You can't imagine the abuse the handles get when we're sailing hard on my boat, believe me...
I have been using winches and winch handles for over 30 years, and that is something I know about...
Oh, I belive you, all right. Believe me when I say I know well I'm in no position to question your judgement on anything having to do with sailing :).

Giulietta said:
any way one day I went to West Marine and bought 3 of these to try them out, they were very cheap and West marine only charged me for 2, so why not???
Cuz they were "very cheap?" ;) I think I would've taken a pass. Having a winch handle break while you're wrenching on it seems like it could have disasterous consequences.

Giulietta said:
The third one is still in the boat, and ask Tom or Valiente what I told them when they brought it outside to be used.....:D :D :D It is there to be thrown at the next jet sky that comes near me.....for that its good...
I dunno... I know I said I wouldn't question you, but are you sure it has enough heft for the task? :p

Giulietta said:
Finally I returned to the US and told Westmarine and they gave me 2 new ones of their brand (made by Schaeffer if I am not mistaken), to try out. (the store manager in Portsmouth is a true gentleman and I like him a lot,he knows how to do business that's why I go there a lot, my favorite store in the US).

Here they are all 6 of them I use on my boat, the West Marine ones...

Very well. If I find myself at West Marine looking for winch handles, I'll look for ones that look like that. Thanks!

Giulietta said:
I tell you I don't use Lewmar's or Harken's for one reason.....and believe me I am really critical about my handles...
I'm again surprised. I would've thought Lewmar or Harken would've been top-of-the-line winch handles.

Jim

#15 ·
winch bi-square size

saurav16 said:
Also was wondering if winch handles work for any winch or are they specific to winch size and make? I have lewmar 10's can I buy anyone of the self locking winch handles?
Hi
tech info--
Nearly all the handles are interchangeable in most winches.
For the last 20 odd years Lewmar winch bi-sqauer size has been 17.52 mm to 17.47.
Some of the older winches do not have an undercut in the main spindle
( below the bi-square, so the locking flange on the handle can not lock in.
Very old winches have a small square drive ( 5/8 inch , 15.87 mm)
Hope the above helps.
safe sailing

#16 ·
I have the new Lewmar Onetouch winch handles where you just squeeze the handle as you're grabbing it. Those things are well worth the price! We absolutely love ours, especially when we're scrambling in heavier winds.

#17 ·
Ive got some old chromed bronze ones made by Barient, Sea-Dog and Barlow. They are heavy, hurt like hell when dropped on your foot and work great as hammers. When we got the boat there was also a crappy plastic one and a thin SS one. I gave the thin SS on away and tossed the plastic one overboard to see if it would float, it didnt. I like the big heavy ones, the Sea-Dog is my fav.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.