SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Cooling Cabin

4K views 22 replies 15 participants last post by  TrueBlue 
#1 ·
I have been thoroughly enjoying my recently acquired Catalina 22 this summer, and have hoped to spend a few nights on board, but the heat continues to hold me back. I understand that significantly cooling my cabin will not be cheap, but what is the most affordable way to cool my cabin to a comfortable sleeping level? Will I need to purchase a portable A/C unit (I have found some for around $100) and small generator? If so, can I get some suggestions? I am completely tolerant of the heat throughout the day, but am pretty particular about the temperature when it comes to sleep. Thank you.

#6 ·
It really depends on whether you're going to be at a dock with shorepower or anchored out. Anchored out, the windscoops and small 12VDC fans are probably the way to go. If dockside, then an A/C unit might be the way to go. However, the fans and windscoop are probably less expensive overall and far more useful, since they can be used at the dock as well as at anchor. You'd be surprised at how much difference small 12 VDC fans can make.

#9 ·
I've thought of using a 10-12inch flexibile duct and hoisting it up the mast about 10 feet to create a chimney effect! One day on a mooring it was a 120in my boat when it was about 96 outside in the sun! thank goodness one doesn't need to be down below in the daytime too much.

#10 ·
I have both Hella Turbos and Caframo Bora fans... both are excellent, however, the Hellas are better for bulkhead or overhead mounted fans, since they pivot at the center, the Boras pivot at the base.

#12 ·
I agree.. but they don't do much for you at night, when you really need the extra cooling, when you're trying to sleep.

BTW, I have two solar vents on my boat... and they help keep it much cooler when she's at the slip all closed up and waiting for me to arrive.
Freesail99 said:
2 Solar vents, will do wonders in cooling the cabin down.

#13 ·
wvnutt said:
I used this when I raced offroad, It wasn't bad for it's intended purpose, I'd set it up inside my sportz tent on my truck, when it was over, I'd strip down to shorts and cool down slowly, when it's 110-120 degs and your body is teetering on heat exhaustion, every little bit helps, would I try this on a small boat ? I don't think so, not unless you confine yourself to a single stateroom or a very small cabin

#14 ·
#16 ·
It would be a bit of work, but why not take advantage of the very water you are floating on? I've often thought of rigging up a form of rad / pump / fan system that will pump cool water through a rad from under the boat, and pass a fan through the rad - wouldn't this provide adaquate cooling? I'm sure there are boxed systems like this no? The power requirements would be very low (a small pump and fan combo), and you might even have enough of a temperature differential between the ambient cabin temperature versus the water temperature to condense moisture from the air?

#17 ·
sailingdog said:
I agree.. but they don't do much for you at night, when you really need the extra cooling, when you're trying to sleep. BTW, I have two solar vents on my boat... and they help keep it much cooler when she's at the slip all closed up and waiting for me to arrive.
The bigger, better, and of course more expensive solar/battery 24hr vents will run all night. I've been using them on all my boats for the last 15 years.

#18 ·
Stan-

I've got two of the Nicro 24-hour solar vents on my boat... while they do move a bit of air at night... a Hella Turbo or Caframo Bora moves a lot more air, and is directed where the cooling (ie my carcass) is most needed, rather than the cabin in general. ;)

christyleigh said:
The bigger, better, and of course more expensive solar/battery 24hr vents will run all night. I've been using them on all my boats for the last 15 years.

#19 · (Edited)
sailingdog said:
Stan-I've got two of the Nicro 24-hour solar vents on my boat... while they do move a bit of air at night... a Hella Turbo or Caframo Bora moves a lot more air, and is directed where the cooling (ie my carcass) is most needed, rather than the cabin in general. ;)
Just wanted to make sure he was aware of the different flavors of solar as there are still many 'solar only' daytime vents being sold. We also have always had a Hella 12v fan directed across the berth for cooling air movement and the 'white noise' we have become accustomed to needing. :rolleyes: I have also set up a kind of 2 stage cooling system on our boats - the 'assisted passive' 24hr solar intake and exhaust, but when it gets Really Hot I would kick in the 12v Hellas strategically placed to move the air in and out faster in those same directions.

#20 ·
Passionkid-
That's classic "chilled water" cooling/refrigeration. The problems on a boat are that first, you need power to pump the water all the time. Second, raw water is going to have all sorts of crud in it, which means filtering it, and attending to cleaning out the system from time to time. And then the usual problems with water pipes, leaks, electrolysis, clogging < g > but it certainly can be done.

#21 ·
I understand that significantly cooling my cabin will not be cheap, but what is the most affordable way to cool my cabin to a comfortable sleeping level?
Just sleep in the nude, with no covers on warmer evenings. In Southern New England's summer climate, that - coupled with hatch screens and a windscoop over the berth, is all the cooling we ever need. :cool:

#22 ·
TMI Trueblue... TMI...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.