SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Replacing wood "curtain" with wood door in head area? Catalina 27 (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/34988-replacing-wood-curtain-wood-door-head-area-catalina-27-a.html)

7tiger7 07-17-2007 10:40 AM

Replacing wood "curtain" with wood door in head area? Catalina 27

Hi -

My 1976 Catalina 27 has a wooden "curtain" that closes off the head. The rails along the top have come loose from the headliner, so the curtain just flaps...

Anyone know if I find a pre-made door (teak?) that I can just bolt into place on there? Just attach hinges on the bulkhead, and presto?

Thanks
Phillip

Jotun 07-17-2007 12:53 PM

I don't have an answer for you, but you might try posting to one of the Catalina 27 e-mail lists.

USCGRET1990 07-17-2007 01:03 PM

Why not build yourself one? How hard could it be? Personnally I would use mahogany. I think it is prettier and cheaper...

ChicagoNewport27 07-17-2007 01:07 PM

I dont see why you couldnt just put on hinges and hang a door made of marine-grade plywood as a quick fix. It doesn't have to look the best, just functional. Obviously the curtain wasn't offering any structural support anyway, so you wouldn't have to worry too much about the door carrying load or anything. Just fashion a door, stain it so it matches (maybe a coat of poly and/or epoxy if you're paranoid of water delaminating the ply), maybe put some handles on it, maybe a latch, and get back to sailing!

sailingdog 07-17-2007 03:52 PM

Do you have the swing room for a door? On many boats, a curtain was used, since there really wasn't sufficient space for a door to swing and still open enough to let a person through... Before going off and making a door, or even ordering the supplies for a door.... mock one up out of foamcore board or corrugated cardboard, and see what will work.

Also, you may have to leave the bottom of the door a bit above the cabin sole, especially if the cabin sole isn't completely level or flat.... so the door can swing properly.

ChicagoNewport27 07-17-2007 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sailingdog
Do you have the swing room for a door? On many boats, a curtain was used, since there really wasn't sufficient space for a door to swing and still open enough to let a person through... Before going off and making a door, or even ordering the supplies for a door.... mock one up out of foamcore board or corrugated cardboard, and see what will work.

Also, you may have to leave the bottom of the door a bit above the cabin sole, especially if the cabin sole isn't completely level or flat.... so the door can swing properly.

Ohhh, those are two good points. The door on my head has gaps at the top and bottom, because the sole and headliner are both curved.

If swing room is an issue, you might try measuring for a regular door, then slice it vertically up the middle to create a simple bi-fold door. Adds another set of hinges obviously, but it could work. You could even put the bi-fold door on a track at the top (like a closet door in a home), or, if you've left a gap at the top, just let it swing freely!

cardiacpaul 07-17-2007 08:22 PM

on my '76, there is a door. wood door, with a full piano hinge.
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d4...a/headdoor.jpg

sailingdog 07-17-2007 09:52 PM

CP-

Does the door on your boat go all the way to the overhead and all the way to the cabin sole??? Or does it cut a bit short on the top and bottom?

cardiacpaul 07-17-2007 10:07 PM

its open about an inch @ the top @ bottom.

RickLaPaz 07-17-2007 10:19 PM

I have been hanging doors in homes and commercial buildings for over 33 years, and make a very good living doing so. When you add in the idiosynchrosies that is a boat, the difficulty and time go up exponentially. This is not a project for the DIY'selfer, and even less so if you think that you are going to fabricate one from scratch and then install it. By looking at your pic, I personally would quote a price of $1,200.00 for the door, un -inished, plus another $500.00 for installation. Then you have the hardware and the varnish work to contend with. But those are L.A. prices--your mileage may vary............

Good luck,

Rick