Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 07-17-2007
Hitchin' a ride

bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough
How do I fix my sink?

This is about a 3/16 inch hole in the bottom corner of the sink. How do I fix it? Whats the quick and easy way, and what is the longer, correct way? Thanks.

Vaya con Dios
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-17-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
BF-

is it a hole or just a ding in the sink's gelcoat?

If it is a hole, tape over the bottom of the hole and fill it with thickened epoxy...then gelcoat over it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-17-2007
Hitchin' a ride

bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough
The gelcoat is punched through, but I forgot to look and see if it goes all the way through. I wasn't sure what it was made of, thanks SD.

Vaya con Dios
Old 07-17-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
If it is gelcoat, then it is probably a fiberglass sink. In any case, as long as it isn't some of the slicker plastics...the thickened epoxy should seal a hold that size fairly well.

If the hole doesn't go through and it is just a shallow divot in the gelcoat... grind the divot a bit, wipe with acetone and then just gelcoat it. Deeper divots need to be filled, even if they don't go through.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 07-18-2007
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
bestfriend,
That sure dosen't look like gelcoat to my eyes.

My galley sink is stainless, but the head sinks are both of a porcelain enameled finish over metal. The best way to repair a porcelain chip is with a repair compound made exclusively for this. There are several out there - here's one I found after a quick search:

Porcelain chip repair
Old 07-18-2007
Telstar 28

If it is porcelain and the underlying sink is stainless, and you've managed to punch a hole in the steel...I'd still be for filling it with thickened epoxy and then coating it.

TB-

How can you tell.... the photo is badly exposed and a bit out of focus...

Telstar 28
New England

Old 07-18-2007
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
How can you tell.... the photo is badly exposed and a bit out of focus...
Yeah - I know it's out of focus, but porcelain chips circumferent around an impact and the blackened base material looks like cast iron - a popular metal for porcelain enameled plumbing fixtures.

I broke up my old cast iron bath tub with a sledge hammer last year to replace with a whirlpool tub . . . that was one heavy tub, and this was the easiest way to get it out of the house. After laboring over that nasty job for an hour - I learned the physical properties of chipped porcelain over cast iron -
Old 07-18-2007
Telstar 28

LOL...that's one way to learn about it... But cast iron is a wierd choice of materials for a boat sink... They're usually fiberglass or stainless steel.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 07-18-2007
Señor Member

Could very well be gelcoat over a dark glass mat material - most likely is. Most firemen I know are part-time tradesmen, so this should be easy enough for BF to find out.
Old 07-18-2007
Hitchin' a ride

I'll be down there tomorrow, place your bets....

Vaya con Dios