Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 07-18-2007
Doons

doons60 is on a distinguished road
Fixed vs Folding Prop

I have an S2 10.3 with a Martec II folding prop. Unfortunalty we lost one of the blades likely to being a bit overagressive on the throttle.
Now we're faced with replacing the prop and Im a bit torn over whether to invest teh extra $ in a folding prop, Martiec no longer has parts for the Mark II so we'd have to replace the entire prop.
We're not racers, so I need to ask what does the folding prop actually buy me that a well fitted fixed prop won't.
Also, OK I'm a bit frugal, is this going to be a huge pain to replace without pulling the boat out of the water?
Thanks...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-18-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Get a Kiwi Feathering Prop. It is less expensive than folding props and works quite well from all accounts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-18-2007

SanderO is an unknown quantity at this point
I've had a fixed 2 blade for 21 years and never had a problem and it's one less mechanical "thing" to worry about.

Jef
sv shiva
Old 07-18-2007

sailboatcnc is on a distinguished road
Performance is important to me but maybe not to you. Get the cheapest prop if money matters. I would get another folder or that feathering prop but I wet sand my VC bottom paint.
Old 07-18-2007
yacht broker

captnnero is on a distinguished road
look before you leap

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog
Get a Kiwi Feathering Prop. It is less expensive than folding props and works quite well from all accounts.
Be careful before you buy one of these things. I've had one of these Kiwiprops for a year. They warn on their website about being overpitched in reverse and that is no joke. My max rpms in reverse are 1500 versus 2800 forward.

While it is easy to set the forward pitch in the water, there is no control of the reverse pitch, which with my M25XP is definitely overpropped in reverse. This mean that I must rev up to about 1300 before even selecting reverse or the engine usually stalls. It also means that the reverse thrust is weaker and sometimes the engine smokes when setting the anchor. After setting the anchor I rev the engine in neutral to clear the black out of the exhaust system.

The Kiwiprop does have some very innovative features and attractive pricing. I've followed their guidelines on the Kiwiprop website for reverse issues. After a year with this prop, I still feel that it needs some more development to provide reverse pitch control. In hindsight, I'd rather have spent another $1500 to get a more evolved design.
They do give you thirty days to evaluate the thing on your boat. In my case, that wasn't long enough before I realized the true shortcoming (in reverse) of it's design.

For my headstone:

If I'd only listened to those guys about that wing keel...

Last edited by captnnero; 07-19-2007 at 10:42 AM.
Old 07-19-2007
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
For non racers, the campbell sailor prop is worth a look. Much less drag than a michigan wheel, and the 3 blade is very smooth. Less cost compared to any folder or feathering prop.
http://www.westbynorth.com/
Old 07-19-2007

haffiman37 is on a distinguished road
The answer to Your question might be as many as there are sailors.
There are a lot of factors to concidder:
The price You are willing to pay
The use of the boat(racing, cruising, daysailing, 'round the world', 'motorsailor'.)
The gearbox type (some boxes need to be locked in reverse, some may be allowed trailing)
Availability on Your 'local' market.
Your priority of speed by engine, by sail, maneuvering, reversing, prop noise and comfort.
Easiness of attaching and servicing.

Im happy with my Flex-O-Fold 3 blade on my 37 Jeanneau.
Old 07-19-2007

cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough
could always try this
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MARTE...spagenameZWDVW

Some people are like slinkies: not really good for anything... but you can't help laughing when you push them down the stairs
Old 07-19-2007

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by captnnero View Post
Be careful before you buy one of these things. I've had one of these Kiwiprops for a year. They warn on their website about being overpitched in reverse and that is no joke. My max rpms in reverse are 1500 versus 2800 forward.

While it is easy to set the forward pitch in the water, there is no control of the reverse pitch, which with my M25XP is definitely overpropped in reverse. This mean that I must rev up to about 1300 before even selecting reverse or the engine usually stalls. It also means that the reverse thrust is weaker and sometimes the engine smokes when setting the anchor. After setting the anchor I rev the engine in neutral to clear the black out of the exhaust system.

The Kiwiprop does have some very innovative features and attractive pricing. I've followed their guidelines on the Kiwiprop website for reverse issues. After a year with this prop, I still feel that it needs some more development to provide reverse pitch control. In hindsight, I'd rather have spent another $1500 to get a more evolved design.
They do give you thirty days to evaluate the thing on your boat. In my case, that wasn't long enough before I realized the true shortcoming (in reverse) of it's design.
This is why I went with VariProp. You can set the forward and reverse pitches to different pitches...if that makes sense, and you can do it in the water.
Old 07-19-2007

drynoc is on a distinguished road
Martec

I had a left hand Martec folding prop on my boat when I bought it, but then I replaced the Volvo with a Yanmar, and needed a right hand prop. I bought the two blades from Martec (I forget the price, but a lot less than a new prop), but since they didn't fit the old prop housing, I had to have them machined very slightly (cost: $99). I now have a like new folding prop. You can call them with some basic information and they will take care of it all.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.