Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 07-20-2007
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
Generator sizing

Was going to buy a Honda EU2000 today, but when I got there (after telling me they had one), I was told they sold it yesterday. They do have some EU1000's in stock though. I want it primarily for battery charging, 315 ah AGM bank with a 20 amp charger, but would like to use it for A/C also on occasions. Would the 1000 do the trick? At least for battery charging?

Thanks,

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-20-2007

Boasun will become famous soon enough Boasun will become famous soon enough
Would need more info. What is the high usage wattage or Amperage for your vessel? Do you plan on adding more electric equipment? And the wattage they would be adding to the total. Then you will have your answer to your question.
Old 07-20-2007

btrayfors will become famous soon enough btrayfors will become famous soon enough
Wait for the 2000. The 1000 likely won't run your a/c unless it's a teenie tiny unit. Remember, too, that in hot weather you'll need to de-rate the generator somewhat.

Also, John, your 20-amp charger is WAY too small for your 315AH battery bank. If it were down 50% (158AH), the charger would take a minimum of 10 hours to bring the batteries to an almost-charged condition (counting for losses in charging and usage while charging).

Suggest you consider something like the Iota 55A or 75A models...inexpensive, robust, great technology to keep your batteries happy.

Bill

Last edited by btrayfors; 07-20-2007 at 03:20 PM.
Old 07-20-2007

Paysay is on a distinguished road
While were asking questions about generator size, would the EU2000 power a 16kBTU Cruisair? The EU2000 is rated for 1600VA or about 14.5 amps continuous but I haven't been able to determine to max load for the 16kBTU cruisair. Anybody know?
Old 07-20-2007

ebs001 is on a distinguished road
The problem that with using a generator to run an A/C is that they will not start. Some people have been able to get their A/Cto start with a Honda EU2000, but most have not.A few weeks back someone was asking about powering a 16kBTU Cruisair with a 2000 and despite the warning that the problem was not "run" but "start" he bought the 2000 anyway. Guess what, it wouldn't start. Motors can draw up to six times the run amperage on start . There's no way a 2000 can handle that load even a momentary load.
As far as charging batteries, the 1000 will run a 80 amp charger.
Old 07-20-2007

wildcard is an unknown quantity at this point
I have the same problem with my inverter starting my watermaker. Go big or dont buy!
Here are real marine generators. http://www.watermakerstore.com/Gener...nerators2.html
Old 07-20-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
THis may or may not answer the question, but here goes:

I have a MasterVolt 3.5 kw diesel generator. It runs a 16000 btu Cruiseair at about 50-60% capacity. Using my bad math, that is about 1750-2100 watts.

HOWEVER!!!!! It is the startup on a air conditioner that kills you. At startup, the unit jumps to 100%+, and pulls off the cap bank, before dropping back down to the 50-60%.

THese numbers are for discussion only, but my guess, like what EBS001 said, it will not work.

- CD

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 07-20-2007

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebs001 View Post
The problem that with using a generator to run an A/C is that they will not start. Some people have been able to get their A/Cto start with a Honda EU2000, but most have not.A few weeks back someone was asking about powering a 16kBTU Cruisair with a 2000 and despite the warning that the problem was not "run" but "start" he bought the 2000 anyway. Guess what, it wouldn't start. Motors can draw up to six times the run amperage on start . There's no way a 2000 can handle that load even a momentary load.
As far as charging batteries, the 1000 will run a 80 amp charger.
This is correct. I have a 12,000 BTU Mermaid Marine Air heat pump/AC unit, and I've already established that the start load is too much for an EU 2000, and probably also exceeds my already purchased 2000 W Xantrex inverter. The weight, space and cost penalty to "solve" this, while doable, is excessive, so we won't have A/C away from the dock. We'll have 12 VDC fans, windscoops, and for chilly nights, a diesel bulkhead heater. Even a couple of oil lamps and a deck hatch left open a crack to make a vent to encourage air circulation makes a difference.

Basically, A/C is a shoreside luxury, unless you are willing to get into built-in gensets and vast inverters. My idea is to have a bank of three or four AGM 8D batteries that I keep well-charged, plus a separate wet-cell start battery, and finally a separate wet-cell deep cycle for the windlass, which is also manually operated.

The EU2000 otherwise hits every sweet spot as a luggable genset (20 kilos) that doesn't take up much room. It will charge my banks, power my AC power tools around the boat, can be taken ashore easily and is the backup to my backup of wind, solar and alternator. It even has enough amps to run a radar set and an SSB if everything else is fried electrically. As I will be carrying 10 or so gallons of gas for a small outboard anyway, it's really no hardship.

If Honda made a diesel EU2000, even if it was ten pounds (25%) heavier, I would go for that in a flash.
Old 07-20-2007
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
A/C is not my primary concern. Just a "wish". It's for battery charging that I wanted to get it. I realize my AC charger is small, but, 1.) I got a great deal, and 2.) at the time, I hadn't planned on using it with anything but shorepower which means I would have at least 12 hrs on the grid.

Thanks for all the responses.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 07-20-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
PB, THat is for a 16k btu. You might be ok with something smaller running off the Honda. Try it!!

- CD

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.