SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Yanmar 2QM15 Bleeding Fuel System - HELP (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/3516-yanmar-2qm15-bleeding-fuel-system-help.html)

shipley 03-07-2002 06:09 PM

Yanmar 2QM15 Bleeding Fuel System - HELP

Have a 1980 Yanmar 2QM15. Has been running great until i got the brilliant idea to drain a little water from the fuel/water separater (Rencor #12?) and got air into the system. As the manual directed, I drained the air from the top "plug" on the fuel filter, then did the 2 connector bolts on the fuel return pipe situated on the top of the cylinders - pumping fuel via the manual handle on the fuel pump till no more bubbles. Then I loosened, individually, the 2 fuel line nipples connected to the injection area and cranked the motor (in decompression mode) but no fuel comes out either one. Afraid to keep cranking, not because of battery going dead (which sounds like it will) but flooding water in engine. Help!! Any thoughts greatly appreciated!!!

JEFryar 03-08-2002 08:34 AM

MT
If by "decompression mode" you mean shut down, this will cut off the fuel to the engine. Set the throttle to FULL fuel, and make sure the stop levers on in the run position.
Hope this helps.
PS If you are using the starter to crank the engine make sure it does not become hot to the touch. If it does let it cool before continuing.
JEF

GeorgeHughes 03-08-2002 08:37 AM

I found the easiest way to take care of the bleeding of the fuel system is to install a pump between the tank and the Racor filter.
I used a squeese bulb for a outboard motor on mine. Then you just pump the fuel from the tank and vent the air at each vent site in order. Start with the primary filter, then the final filter.

I never had to bleed the injector lines.

The engine should start at full throttle and will probably run a litle uneven for the first few min.
You should probably close the sea water inlet seacock until the engine is runnig to prevent flooding the engine

shipley 03-09-2002 07:11 AM

Good points, that I also didnt understand in the manual. I am assuming when it said "decompression mode", I was to hold open the compression release system on top of the cylinders so the engine would crank freely with out compression (like doing if the battery was low). I did have the throttle at Full, but what is the "stop levers" you are refering to? Thx

JEFryar 03-11-2002 04:40 AM

MT,
The stop lever or an equivalent system cuts fuel flow to the engine to stop it. This may be a manual lever, a solenoid which opens only with the ignition key on or a pushbutton which pulls the solenoid in to stop the engine. In each case you will need to make sure that whichever system is on your engine it is in the "run" position and allowing fuel to flow to the injectors.
JEF

shipley 03-11-2002 07:21 PM

Thx, i''ll check it out