Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 07-21-2007

US25 is on a distinguished road
Sail repair - Tape or Sew? w/ pictures

As the pictures show, this sail has about an 8" separation at one of the seams. My original intention was to try and sew it back together, but I don't think that's going to work very well. I bought some Kevlar tape, but I've used sailtape before and didn't hold very well. Anyone got a suggestion?

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-21-2007
Space cadet

Jotun is on a distinguished road
I've had good luck with sail tape on Dacron. Do two layers, both vertical and horizontal. Never tried it on Mylar, though.
Old 07-21-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Laminate sails can be a problem since traditional sail repair materials can have a problem sticking to the laminate materials. I think you're going to have to put a big patch over the rip on both sides of the sail, and then sew it in place. It would be better if the patch materials were adhesive backed, as it would make the repair easier to complete and probably a good deal stronger as a final result.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-21-2007

I was thinking I'd need a bigger patch, all I could find today was 3" tape at West Marine.
Old 07-22-2007

I couldn't wait to get a bigger patch, so I used the 3" adhesive Kevlar tape. It seems to have stuck pretty good, (I put it on both sides). We'll see.....

Old 07-22-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'd sew through the tape as well.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 07-27-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
I'd sew through the tape as well.
Well, I should have taken your advise. I tried it out yesterday, without sewing through the tape and it didn't hold. It lasted about 20 minutes. Dang it!
Old 07-27-2007
I'm the FNG still...

Lancer28 is on a distinguished road
I'm heading out to take some photos of a sail I bought that was torn. ($20.00 for a Neil Pryde working jib before anyone laughs too hard about buying it)

I'll post up a photo of it and see if anyone can reccomend how to fix it. I don't have a single sail loft anywhere near me in Denver...
Old 07-28-2007
Telstar 28

LOL... I told ya so... Damn... the glue just isn't as sticky as it used to be... actually, I think it is more a matter of the mylar being harder to stick to than anything else. Stitching it up properly always makes a glued-on patch much stronger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by US25 View Post
Well, I should have taken your advise. I tried it out yesterday, without sewing through the tape and it didn't hold. It lasted about 20 minutes. Dang it!

Telstar 28
New England

Old 07-28-2007

denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough
I have a 140% dacron genny on my O'Day 302 with a leech seem rip, my plan is to use sail tape on both sides to hold the edges together then sew a 6 inch strip of dacron on both sides through the tape. I have an industrial sewing machine and i'm running to Defender this morning to pick up supplies. Will let you know how it works out.

Dennis

Be careful or i will do what the voices tell me to do

To get the most from Sailnet, follow the link in
's signature.

Hey stuffit "Get a life"